Marko Peljhan on Tue, 2 Jul 2013 22:15:17 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> NSA-spying-on-Europe outrage somewhat disingenuous

Yes, line item 82 is somewhat crucial and surprising in its explanation...(if you are no cynical...) But as you pointed out, this happened in the 80's and you could find similar cases
all over the legal systems of s.c. democracies up to today.
Here in the US, more than half of the public opinion does not care much about the fact that all of our communications and patterns are being gathered and stored...it is an incredible reaction. Half of the public opinion is completely buying into the "security" argumentation and the necessity of this becoming a fact that we should simply live with or is not even aware of it and thinks, as the President,
that Snowden is a "hacker".
It is an unimaginable prospect that this is the case, but it is.
The problem of Europe is that it has allowed this to happen all along, and the surprise is still somewhat bewildering, although more than necessary. And Europe has if i am not mistaken UK as part of the Union. That says it all as far as UKUSA is concerned. It was probably the GCHQ who facilitated the bugging of the Brussels chambers...why wouldn't they,
they have a special relationship.
Yes, Holy Smokes, it is really happening. What now?
Check out the lovely former representative of the people Jane Harman.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/government_programs/jan-june13/nsadebate_06-10.html
I think this is one of the many little insights into the current state of "balkanized" hyperproduction
(thank you Patrice for reminding us of Chruchill) of history.

And Heiko, there are alternatives, and more will emerge. They are slower and slower paced, maybe this is what this
world needs before it finally sinks into the Anthropocene oblivion.

Mx