Sacha van Geffen on Thu, 4 Apr 2013 03:01:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Last week's massive DDoS attack?

On 03-04-13 19:27, Brian Holmes wrote:
> Are our Dutch hacker friends too embarrassed to report anything about
> last week's DDoS that is said to have caused the greatest slowdown of
> the Internet ever?

Silly me, I thought hacker culture was not about the 19 century concept
of nation states and borders. I also thought this list was not about
that, and the name Nettime reflected that.

So if you ask me should the "dutch hackers" favor or stand against this
actions, my question would be why dutch hackers, why should they be
embarrased? Because you tell me I have to identify myself with another
'dutch' hacker?  Sorry, your problem, not mine.

To the general question why are hackers not responding? Interesting,
they do not tend to do that in general to actions of other people. Most
people I spoke did not find it that interesting. Most discussions are
more in the technical direction and involve possible solutions to the
type of attack used.

BTW:
there was some news coverage ao:
http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/113876/nederlanders-achter-grootste-ddos-aanval-ooit.html
About some upcoming other attack vectors mentioned:
https://greenhost.nl/2013/03/21/spam-not-spam-tracking-hijacked-spamhaus-ip/

> Some nasty anti-Semitic declarations by the chief suspect filled the
> US brainwaves - repulsive stuff. Yet for all the rest I am feeling
> misled by the major media and it would be good to get some inside
> angles on what happened....
please enlighten us with references to the original work

--

Greenhost - Sustainable Hosting
T: +31204890444

A digital signature can be attached to this e-mail,
you need opengpg software to verify it. see:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/basic-internet-security/ch027_mail-encryption-gpg/