nettime's_dom on Wed, 22 Feb 2012 04:12:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [some clever play on the word] sex [digest: harrison x3]

Flick Harrison <flick@flickharrison.com>

     Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale

From: Flick Harrison <flick@flickharrison.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:19:09 -0800

On 2012-02-10, at 22:01 , Morlock Elloi wrote:

> Several replies indicate wide-spread religious attitude towards intellect, a
> brain-body separation reminiscent of the traditional theories of language
> before biolinguistics put them out of business.

Bla bla bla.  This is exactly the kind of obscurantist theory that can
easily be reality-checked.  Why don't you take a photo of your naked body -
nuts and all - and post a link to it here on nettime with your next
comment?  I mean, you post your thoughts here all the time, why not your
body?  And make sure you're holding up today's paper so we know it's real.

Even then, a picture of your body isn't your body - when a stranger fucks
you because you need a few bucks, that's a real sacrifice.

If you're talking about my reply, that it indicates a religious attitude
towards brain-body separation, I'd say you're wildly off-base.  The idea
that prostituting your mind is just as much a violation as prostituting
your body is the more religious response.  The pure mind, besmirched by the
performance of that which isn't fervently believed... just like the body
performing the sex act without love - both equally debase the soul...

That sounds more religious to me.

It's silly to say that an hour of lame intellectual labour is equivalent to
an hour of unwanted sex.  Name a culture where the social barriers to
sexual penetration are exactly equal to the barriers to intellectual
intercourse and I'll believe you that this difference is all culturally
constructed.

-Flick