John Hopkins on Sat, 18 Feb 2012 02:12:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> [Fwd] A Spit in the Ocean (or the limits of social network paranoia)

So, what's the real alternative if any?

The alternative, I think, is perhaps too difficult to even imagine.  The
technical problems of building an open, stable, and user-run communication

Hei August!

I think one of the reasons that the focus on directly 'opposing' a large dominant techno-social infrastructure deployment with a small techno-social infrastructure deployment is problematic lies in its basic incomplete premise: it doesn't address the de-evolution of human encounter and relation in general.

Also, a 'technical' solution, while it pleases the hacker aesthetic locally, does not address at all the effects that the technical 'box' applies globally (i.e., the misery spread via the extractive minerals industry, for example, necessary to prop up *any* kind of server *anywhere*).

Much effort in my teaching and facilitation is to reset the conditions in a grouping of people so that -- on a sliding scale from highly-mediated human connection to less-mediated human connection -- people value less mediation more. This rather than valuing the latest technological implementation of a mediated communications tool as more valuable. I firmly believe that if we gave more attention to the humans who are in most proximal to us instead of the remote 'tele'Other the world would be a better place. (this suggests that, practicing what I preach, I leave nettime altogether, eh!?) But it is not an all-or-nothing game, it can be implemented at any level at any point in time. Indeed the dynamic of choice, when choosing where to give our attentions, is a crucial awareness to learn -- because it is the *where* we focus those immediate attentions on that becomes *empowered*.

etc...

jh