Michael H Goldhaber on Wed, 23 Nov 2011 23:24:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Debt Campaign Launch

I don't have time for  a  lengthy reply, but I think that most of the responders are missing the thrust of the movement on student debt renunciation. As I've hinted, it, like the Occupy movement itself, has most value as consciousness changing. That's why it's nonsense to criticize the Occupy movement for not having a detailed program, beyond the actually radical "we are the 99%"and why it is also rather nonsensical to view the anti-debt movement as merely a proposal for contract violation. As I noted before, it's unlikely the million necessary will really sign up, but just thinking about it is going to be illuminating for a very wide swath of people in and out of academia. Criticizing the call is a form of obfuscation, whatever the intent.

Best,
Michael

On Nov 23, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Ed Phillips wrote:

> Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far to this thread. I'm
> not satisfied with any of your responses. Perhaps Brian's come
> closest, however, to capturing how difficult the situation and the
> subject is.
>
> Mark presents an interesting and, I think, ultimately too one-sided
> answer. Perhaps he is being playfully ironic when he uses such words
> as slave and system, because I gather he knows as much as anyone on
> this list that the slave is the one who actually grows. The masters or
> the midgets who pantomime the place of the master in our era are
> frozen in no-growth grimaces and they only have the sublime zeros of
> their balances to ballast them.
 <...>