Douglas Schuler on Sat, 5 Jun 2010 10:54:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> [iDC] A movement of unemployed teachers

The film about the movement in Oaxaca, Mexico, Un Poquito de Tana Verdad
tells the story about a similar movement in Mexico.

http://www.corrugate.org/un_poquito_de_tanta_verdad/un_poquito_de_tanta_verdad

It's a pretty amazing documentary.

-- Doug

On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:25 AM, micha cárdenas wrote:

> Again I'm not sorry for my genuine rage, but this is all compounded by
> the collapse of the educational system where so many of us are being
> presented with our expulsion from academia. We need a Movement of
> Unemployed Teachers like the unemployed workers movement in Argentina
> (if any hope of a movement is still possible, or which may be possible
> again now that we all have os much time on our hands). Just in sheer
> numbers, so many of us are being laid off, having tenure threatened,
> watching adjunct jobs disappear, that we must have the combined energy
> to DO SOMETHING in response... The coming insurrection sounds more and
> more like sweet music that makes so much sense as we're all told that
> we have no futures left...
>

> 2010/6/3 micha cárdenas <azdelslade@gmail.com>:
>> As I walk around campus today, I have the urge to peaches' I DONT
>> GIVE
>> A FUCK song, because I'm so pissed about losing aaaarg.org. This is
>> TOO MUCH. When will we all finally reach our limit? It is my hope
>> that
>> a million aaaarg mirrors will spring up...
>>
>> Of course a lot of us have been brewing these dreams of escaping
>> social networks for a long time...
>> (http://bang.calit2.net/tts/category/facebook/) but it seems that now
>> we need to organize, we need a distributed strategy, to both help
>> efforts to develop new autonomous networks like elgg, identi.ca,
>> opensim and diaspora, but also to infiltrate and disrupt networks
>> like
>> facebook, twitter and second life. In fact, second life is a perfect
>> case study of the horror of what these network owners imagine, a
>> whole
>> world where everything you own, everything that is you, every bit of
>> your body and identity resides on their servers, and everyday new
>> Linden Labs licensing restrictions come out to legally  bind people
>> into the system and prevent escape at all turns.
>>
>> Personally, I've been invested for quite a while in trying to develop
>> new networks, including networks such as radical porn sites, just one
>> example of the parts of ourselves and our lives that are excluded and
>> stripped from us in these corporate spaces. Actually my book calling
>> for the development of new autonomous networks stemming out of the
>> demand for the ability to change my identity constantly and at will
>> just came out (http://www.amazon.com/Trans-Desire-Affective-Cyborgs-C%C3%A1rdenas/dp/0982530994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275588562&sr=8-1
>> ).
>>
>> Still, even as we need to develop our own networks and software, we
>> also have to move to developing our own infrastructure
>> (http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/06/22/18603456.php)! We can no
>> longer rely on phone companies to provide our connections to each
>> other! We need to be in control of the very hardware itself, and we
>> all have routers in our homes that we can switch for just this
> [...]

Douglas Schuler
douglas@publicsphereproject.org

Public Sphere Project
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution
(project)
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution
(book)
      http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601