Michael H Goldhaber on Tue, 25 May 2010 15:04:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Critical strategies in art and media" gets it wrong

I'd like to point out that the 1920's were also an era of "sex, drugs and rock'n"roll" or at least loosened sexual mores, illicit drugs including alcohol, and jazz, which of course also has African-American roots. But as far as I know there was no major leftish protest movement, at  least until October, 1929. The '20's saw a resurgence of the Klan, in fact.

Half a century later, after 1973 and the end of the draft, the opposition movement faded rapidly, though sex, drugs and even rock'n'roll didn't.

Best,
Michael

On May 24, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Flick Harrison wrote:

> I have to put in a word for Rock and Roll here in relation to May 1968.

<...>