nettime's internet didgest on Mon, 3 May 2010 09:16:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> .another internet is possible!_ [3x : mp, Rob Myers, Jaime Magiera]

----- Forwarded message from mp <mp@aktivix.org> -----

From: mp <mp@aktivix.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> .another internet is possible!_
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 14:09:37 +0100
To: nettime-l@kein.org

On 02/05/10 13:03, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Hi,
>> our online identity, which used to be anonymous to one degree, has
>> become our physical identity beginning with the facebook.
>
> Replacing one nonsense with the other. Do you really think Facebook
> knows something about you? Are you your facebook "identity"?
>
> Facebook may be able to sell data to advertising companies, maybe those
> companies can improve their campaigns, but those data have nothing to do
> with your reality.

Nothing? Nothing at all?

-mp

----- Forwarded message from Rob Myers <rob@robmyers.org> -----

From: Rob Myers <rob@robmyers.org>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 15:11:00 +0100
To: nettime-l@kein.org

On 02/05/10 13:03, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Are you your facebook "identity"?

Increasingly.

Your Facebook identity can be used to fire, convict, harrass or
discriminate against you.

- Rob.

----- Forwarded message from Jaime Magiera <jaime@sensoryresearch.net> -----

From: Jaime Magiera <jaime@sensoryresearch.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 21:06:54 -0400
To: nettime list <nettime-l@kein.org>

On May 2, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Replacing one nonsense with the other. Do you really think Facebook
> knows something about you? Are you your facebook "identity"?
>
> Facebook may be able to sell data to advertising companies, maybe those
> companies can improve their campaigns, but those data have nothing to do
> with your reality.

Hi,

Define reality. It's subjective and there are plenty of people who's
social structure (friend-to-friend, dating, etc) is determined by
their Facebook connections and communications. Data and things virtual
are becoming reality for those people.

Now, the experiential quality of that reality is a different question
altogether.

Jaime Magiera

Sensory Research, Inc.
http://www.sensoryresearch.net