Keith Hart on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:42:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Has Facebook superseded Nettime?

Nettime might consider a move to Ning which has a Facebook look
without being as addicted to infotainment. Some of us started an
Open Anthropology Cooperative there four months ago. We have almost
2,000 members already and quite a lot of activity, generally of a
serious intellectual sort. What is impressive is the global reach. We
are creating a new portal that would lead to the social networking
site and to a repository at wikidot, a publishing outlet and other
possibilities that need not be tied to the Ning format.

http://openanthcoop.ning.com/

Keith

--
Prof. Keith Hart
www.thememorybank.co.uk

--00c09ffb4d2fd1287404742af7e9

Nettime might consider a move to Ning which has a Facebook look without bei=
ng as addicted to infotainment. Some of us started an Open Anthropology Coo=
perative there four months ago. We have almost 2,000 members already and qu=
ite a lot of activity, generally of a serious intellectual sort. What is im=
pressive is the global reach. We are creating a new portal that would lead =
to the social networking site and to a repository at wikidot, a publishing =
outlet and other possibilities that need not be tied to the Ning format.<br=

 10:58 PM, Florian Cramer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fc-nettim=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>
For about two years, I&#39;ve noted that a sizable part of the media<br>
artistic, -activist and -scholarly community that makes up Nettime has<br>
moved to Facebook, in the sense of being more active and networked there<br=

than here. At the same time, there seems to no public discussion of<br>
this fact, making Facebook an elephant in the room. I&#39;m speculating tha=
t<br>
Facebook is seen as a friendlier environment - but nobody dares to<br>
mention it because, among others, it&#39;s a corporate site built on blatan=
t<br>
user data mining [see <a href=3D"http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=3D86=
3" target=3D"_blank">http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=3D863</a>] with<=
br>
scary surveillance and privacy implications.<br>
What is the solution? Is something like Facebook needed, but as a<br>
decentralized, non-data-minable, user-owned system?<br>
-F<br>
--<br>
blog: =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"http://en.pleintekst.nl"; target=3D"_blank">http://=
en.pleintekst.nl</a><br>
homepage: <a href=3D"http://cramer.pleintekst.nl:70"; target=3D"_blank">http=
://cramer.pleintekst.nl:70</a><br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0gopher://<a href=3D"http://cramer.pleintekst.nl"; target=
=3D"_blank">cramer.pleintekst.nl</a><br>
# =A0distributed via &lt;nettime&gt;: no commercial use without permission<=
br>
# =A0&lt;nettime&gt; =A0is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,<br>
# =A0collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets<br>
# =A0more info: <a href=3D"http://mail.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l"=