Eric Kluitenberg on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:43:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Between Tracking and Formulating

dear nettimers, Brian,

I was planning to respond briefly to Brian's post "50 ways to leave
your lover" and before even being able to do so he posted something
else that struck me as interesting and in need of a short comment -
the use of "we" as a comprehensive claim, ironic or not. It seemed to
me that the use of "we" was always suspect, already for a much longer
time, and I try to avoid it as much as possible when writing, though
it slips in from time to time...
(all too human)

As a student (in the 80s) I came across this startling remark by no
one else than Ezra Pound - now here we have a artist whose involvement
with politics could truly be called "catastrophic" - which he made as
a preface to a collection of "Selected Prose 1909 - 1965". And his
succinct words reflect devastatingly his insight into the fallacy of
his own undertakings (anti-American radio broadcasts during WWII with
anti-Semitic overtones (fuelled by his hatred against the banking
system and a bogus self-fashioned economic theory), his imprisonment
for high-treason and almost execution by the allied forces after the
war, and his final years in seclusion, the failure of his totalising
poetic project "The Cantos", and subsequent self-imposed near absolute
silence after the disaster of his excessive tale 'full of sound and
fury'.

The sentence reads:

"The substitution of "I" by a comprehensive claim in which 'we' or
'one' is used to indicate a general law may be a pretentious attempt
to expand a merely personal view into a universal law"

- Ezra Pound, Venice, 4th July, 1972.

Hence, uttered seven years after he stopped writing and speaking
altogether. Now, put these dry words together with the biography of
this impossible man (possibly the greatest poet and avantgardist of
the 20th century and a bloody fascist at the same time!), then for me
these words have always signalled the enormous danger of using
comprehensive claims in public writing.

bests,
Eric