David garcia on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:04:49 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Continental Intersections

A New Silk Road
Continental Intersections

In his essay One World One Dream, Brian Holmes describes how an
entire "political economy is lodged in the tensions of intersecting
realities." These realities are of course multiple but in his essay
Holmes is referring directly to the example of China and the current
condition of "transnational capitalism with Chinese characteristics."
But at other points the essay also points to other more geopolitical
examples of "intersecting realities" expressed as tensions operating
between vast continental and regional blocks in a world where scale
still matters. I want to propose an additional example: the
comparatively recently formed central Asian Republics that once were
part of the Soviet Union, now suspended between the great power
blocks of China, and the Russian Federation.

Lodged precariously in the region is the remarkable ArtEast whose
artist directors Gulnara Kasmalieva and Muratbek Jumaliev repudiate
petty nationalisms of the so called "stans"; Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. Instead Kasmalieva and Jumaliev and the
other artists associated with ArtEast  are struggling to address what
Holmes called the  "unanswered question" namely how the tensions
between the intersecting realities are being "expressed and
elaborated by individuals: how is the emergence of a world society is
tangled up with the production of new subjectivities."

In their piece featured in *Visual Foreign Correspondents* entitled,
A New Silk Road, Algorithm of Survival and Hope. http://
www.visualcorrespondents.com/ we see the artists trace the new
reality of the ancient trade route. In a carefully choreographed
sequence of sound and video we see the detritus of the former Russian
empire transported along the ancient trade rout to be sold for scrap
in exchange for cheap Chinese clothes. In this work we see the
intensity and immediacy of video is combined with the reflective
detachment of ethnographic observation. Their approach embodies what
theorists George Marcus and Michael Fisher term "anthropology as
cultural critique an approach which involves regarding one's own
culture as would a stranger from outside.

As well as their work as visual artists Kasmalieva and Jumaliev
initiated and continue to run ArtEast as an important cultural and
educational centre dedicated to the development of critical art and
discourse. This organization is not only important in Kyrgyzstan it
is highly significant for the wider region. In fact (as the interview
below demonstrates) Kasmalieva and Jumaliev are profoundly skeptical
of the value of the central Asian republics as separate entities or
nations preferring instead to emphasize the intense cooperation and
communication between artists across the different republics as a
more authentic reflection of life beyond the nationalist ambitions of
those in power. They hark back to a period of enlightened
metropolitan expansion, the time of Gorbachev's  Perestroika when
they were free to travel and study in St-Petersburg and Moscow art
academies. A time (they claim) that gave people new hopes and
possibilities.

Against all the odds Kasmalieva and Jumaliev as both artists and
organizers have played a significant part in carving out important
cultural scene in which despite difficult material circumstances art
asserts itself as a language and a space of resistance.

There follows an interview conducted for Visual Foreign
Correspondents in which we get a picture of the position and role of
art and other forms of visual culture in shaping the future of the
region.

 David Garcia
Do you agree with the way McEvilley described you work?
As embodying: the approach that scholars George Marcus and Michael
Fisher term "anthropology as cultural critique," which involves
regarding one's own culture as would a stranger from outside. It is
as if the Kyrgyz artists in Siberia were performing a cultural
critique on themselves through anthropological researches into their
own origins?

Gulnara Kasmalieva and Muratbek Jumaliev
We respect the opinion of Thomas McEvilley as on of the outstanding
art expert of post modernism. We think his description was based on
our art practice in late 80s- beginning of 90s and revolving around a
search for our origins. The problem of national, ethnic identity was
very relevant at that time. In our earlier work: etchings,
sculptures, installations we were searching out different issues that
related to the pressures of living under the soviet regime: national
language, history, mythology. Now our we are living through a post-
soviet or post colonial identity, this ambivalent combination of
local and European culture, allows us to be both within the society
and but at the same time look at its problems as if we were
strangers. This is by no means always an easy not easy but it remains
a fascinating journey.

 DG
Before asking you about your work let me begin by asking you a little
about the work of ArtEast. Does it still exist? Is it active? If so
what projects are you currently involved in?

K.J
ArtEast is still exists and is still active and we try to combine our
own artistic work along with an educational program consisting
lectures, debates, presentations, workshops and exhibitions of
contemporary art. This program is supported by Hivos Fund from
Netherlands and Open society Institute from Budapest, but we also try
to involve local society and governmental institutions. We have
already organized two Bishkek International Exhibitions of
Contemporary Art, In the Shadow of Heroes in 2005 and Zone of Risk.
Transition in 2006. The next exhibition is planed to be this
September and its topic will be on the damaging consequences of the
architectural boom within Central Asia.

 DG
Is there much contact between the artists (and people) of the central
Asian republics? How connected do the republics feel as region?
Culturally? Could you forge cultural alliances to resist the larger
forces of globalization? Do you see the emergence of a regional
identity? Or perhaps national differences are more evident?

K.J
If we mean globalization as the intervention of global market, we
have indeed been affected by it since the collapse of communistic
utopia. A reaction to this collapse was of the simultaneous searching
for national identities in all Central Asian republics. Today, after
17 years of this process we have to accept the fact of total failure
of this idea. The issue of national identity becomes something like a
brand whose goal is to establish ambitions of Power. The only
significant differences are visible only on how much natural
resources each of the republics deploy as a means of selling
themselves to the highest bidder within global market.
Of course there are borders, customs and other limitations which make
it difficult to communicate but nevertheless all Central Asian
republics (first of all Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and
Tajikistan) still identify themselves as one region with common
cultural roots and soviet past. This relationship is still strong and
artists of our generation continue collaboration and friendship as if
we were one country. This is especially visible in culture and
particularly in contemporary art and this was one of the reasons of
success of Central Asian pavilion in Venice biennial 2005.

 DG
According to McEvilley and others the video immediacy has been widely
adopted as a medium by artists. Can you say something about your own
artistic journey how you started as artists and how you came to adopt
these practices?

K.J
We graduated in St-Petersburg and Moscow art academies during the
Gorbachev's Perestroika. This particular time gave people new hopes
and possibilities. We were not satisfied with only art education
which by the way gave us very good artistic skills but tried to
attend lectures and shows of European films, reading western art
magazines and participate in the student movement against old
bureaucracy in the academy as well as organizing exhibitions of young
artists. Returning home we did limit ourselves only to sculpture and
printmaking. We try to experiment with photography and different
materials and interdisciplinary media in order to reflect surrounding
processes in society the wild 90's gave a lot of inspiration for this
process. In this sense we found video to be a very flexible and
sensitive media, which allowed effectively realize our ideas.

DG
Can you speak a little of artists from either your own region or from
elsewhere in the region whose work has influenced or helped to shape
your practice?

K.J
We have strong relationship within Central Asian artists from
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. Since the middle of 90s we
intensively participate in group exhibitions mostly in Bishkek and
Almaty (Kazakhstan) and of course this process includes active
knowledge sharing and influence on each other. It is difficult to say
much about particular one or even several artistartistss influences,
as our work has been complicated due to larger influence of world
contemporary art.

DG
Are there other arts (literature, poetry, theatre and film), which
collectively create a cultural landscape, or do you as visual artists
relate mostly to one another?

K.J
We have never considered art as only art without the surrounding
cultural landscape. Unfortunately the region is suffering from
massive brain migration. But nevertheless the phenomenon of young
Kyrgyz movie makers in 90, experimental city theater, the paper
architecture music festivals are always connected each other. We are
small country with population of five millions and we are also the
poorest republic of Central Asia (by which we mean the we lack
natural resources). So it probably seems odd that this country still
attracts creative people from all the neighboring countries to
participate in exhibitions, festivals and conferences. The reason for
this in our opinion, are our unique human resources and this is the
best example of vital creative forces of Kyrgyzstan.

DG
In a way your adoption of certain technologies and some of the
languages and protocols developed by western modern art points to a
particular kind of globalization. But perhaps one, which might offer
an optimistic scenario of the growth of a world society around
values, which are, not only market driven. Do you see anything like
that occurring?

K.J
Of course, using these particular technologies in art looks like
manifestation of global market but at the same time almost all
artists in our region (with a very few exceptions) who use for
instance video, do not consider it as medium, which will lead to
commercial success. One of the reasons for this is the very limited
local art market which is orientated only for traditional techniques.
Ironically it is the lack of commercial interest that makes video an
ideal tool for independent artistic research. It does not mean that
results of this activity could not be adopted by market in a future.
But at least artists working with video are free of commercial
motives. In this sense it is worth remembering that the soviet system
with its repudiation of the market meant that the value of art was
not necessarily expressed monetarily. And this is one of the best
legacies of communistic utopia.

DG
Is there a local audience for your work and the work of other artists?

K.J
I am sure that all artists here address their work first of all to
local audiences whether they are radical, wild or conventional. The
other question how global art audience reacts is another question. We
think that topic of art??s relationship to the people is a highly
relevant for our time. It does not mean that we need to follow either
pop or commercial culture. It only means that art could be a medium
for questioning the issues the touch on people is most fundamental or
barest necessity.

D.G
How do people learn art in Kyrgyzstan? Is there anything like art
schools in your country or region? Is there a younger generation or
artists emerging?

K.J
There are art schools and several private studios for children, art
college and art academy in Bishkek.
But due to very conservative, eclectic, low quality education,
students tend to limit themselves a priori working only within local
art situation. That??s why the main mission of our organization
ArtEast is larger education of young artists providing them
possibilities to realize their ideas not only in local but also in
international art.

DG
What do you see as the future for your society and in what ways do
you see your work and that of other artist??s role in the future of
Kyrgyzstan.

K.J
These issues we would try represent during the Bishkek Exhibition
this year. Due to dozen of factors: liberalization of market, passive
cultural policy of government, educational crisis etc. artists in
order to survive started produce kitsch and art became a service for
national.  That??s why we consider contemporary art as one of a
number of means of resistance. We plan to involve to this project not
only artists but also architects, designers, anthropologists,
thinkers and other representatives of civil society.

DG
In the beginning of Perestroika Josef Beuys was invited to
participate in exhibition in Russia dedicated to human rights. He
refused and his explanation was: it is not time talk about rights but
of duties. Perhaps it is one of the many legends about Beuys but we
think this sentence is highly relevant for our time and our people.

Muratbek Djumaliev and Gulnara Kasmalieva interviewed by David Garcia
for Visual Foreign Correspondents
3.03.08