Benjamin Geer on Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:35:56 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward

On 12/01/07, A. G-C <guibertc@criticalsecret.com> wrote:

> > How do you explain the proliferation of US military bases in the
> > Middle East[1] if those bases aren't intended to protect American
> > access to oil?[2]
> [...]
> to keep a military strategic position of US Defence at the south
> of Russia and China [...]
> Because civil nuclear becoming now a predictable market of America [...]
> Imagine what Iran yet now represents in this geo challenge

Those seem to me like plausible factors as well, but they can coexist
with the importance of protecting access to oil.  I think we mustn't
forget that the CIA helped overthrow Iranian prime minister Mossadegh
in 1953 because the British, hurt by the nationalisation of Iran's oil
industry, persuaded the US that Mossadegh was turning towards
communism.  Thus oil and the Cold War, for example, were closely
linked.

Ben