Brian Holmes on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:03:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Netbase (1995-2006)

I would just like to thank all the people who founded, worked at and closely
collaborated with the former Public Netbase, for having created and maintained one
of the most advanced centers for internet experimentation, intellectual inquiry,
activism and art tout court.

In my experience this was consistently the most interesting place of its kind,
where it was always possible to have a discussion that took you beyond what you
knew or had done, and into the deeper reality of the present. It was also the most
irreverent place imaginable, one of the few public institutions that could claim
to have a sense of humor and that took intelligent delight in proving it over and
over again.

That such an operation should be treated as the establishment has traditionally
treated the avant-garde - by fearing and despising it, or just by torpidly
ignoring its qualities and allowing it to disappear for want of the most minimal
support - is a sad commentary on the degree of conformism that still prevails in
our decaying societies.

once again, thanks to all,

Brian