Jody Berland on Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:10:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> publication of "Jyllands-Posten" cartoons is not....

>These are political thugs who wrap themselves in the cloak of religion.

>First they come for the cartoons, then they come for you.

>Robbin Murphy
> THE THING, Inc.

That's true of "freedom," too.  That's exactly my point.  Respect for "freedom of
speech" on one side, "respect" for religion on the other, thugging away at each
other with their unequal armies.

Jon Stewart likes to count the number of times Bush uses the word "liberty" in his
speeches, and no one accuses him (Stewart, that is) of being a postmodern moral
relativist.  No one wants to turn back the Enlightenment, but you can't understand
it usefully -- or employ its insights -- without acknowledging the history of
imperialism and colonialism that then and now have formed its dark side.

Jody Berland