nettime's braindead digestion on Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:13:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The braindead arrogance of Linux [2x]

Table of Contents:

    Re: <nettime> The braindead arrogance of Linux
      ed phillips <ed@cronos.net>

    Re: <nettime> The braindead arrogance of Linux
      Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:01:59 -0700
From: ed phillips <ed@cronos.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> The braindead arrogance of Linux

huh? Heiko, is this a poem?

We aren't selling dubious essences necessarily. We are jumping into the
Services world with all its travails; it is far less lucrative than
working the ip game. It is "wealth killing" of a sorts, and has all the
potlach rank and pride through consuming wealth, using wealth, giving it
away.

I remember good old RMS on a panel years ago, with skinny pre-billionare
David Filo in his tshirt. I remember David Filo saying to the world in
response to RMS's embrace of free as in idea saying "But we'll all endup
as waiters." RMS: "That would be fabulous, that would mean that the
software actually worked!."

I live the life of a waiter? un garcon? a gay science?

Just what is quasi-religious? If its zeal you want, there is plenty of
that, and plenty of disillusionment, zeal's little sidekick.

Everything comes as a "distro" these days, and net theorists and net
filters might be looked at as distros. I got the latest Lovink "distro"
update in the physical mail the other day and enjoyed it immensely, the
principle of notworking, it could be dipped into and the various ideas are
like separate programs, the conversations with other writers.

up2date --dry-run lovink_not_working_v4_u2.txt

you've been linuxfried. an arrogant smirk is curling at the edges of your
mouth. "may i help you?"

- -one spirit-dead keyboard challenged certainly arrogant Linux user.
copyleft. commercial use encouraged!