geert on Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:19:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Bill Thompson: Dump the World Wide Web

From: Open Democracy (via evel@xs4all.nl)

Happy Christmas! (and, by the way: Dump the World Wide Web!)

As 2004 ends www.openDemocracy.net presents a gloriously radical assault
on the web's lost decade. Bill Thompson argues that the black hole of
online publishing needs a fresh start, a new model, a revolution that will
free the networked world from its absurd web prison.

Dump the World Wide Web!
By Bill Thompson
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-8-10-2277.jsp
23-12-2004

--

Bill Thompson studied computer science, built his first site in 1994,
attended the first international web conference later that year with Tim

---

The World Wide Web is dead. Like a cartoon character running off a cliff
but making it some way out into space before awareness brings gravity back
into operation, it may continue to dominate our online lives a little
longer, but its day is over.

Soon the whole clumsy, inadequate edifice will come crashing to the
cyberspatial equivalent of the ground and we will look back upon the crazy
decade from 1994 to 2004 for what it was -- a dead-end in the development
of the networked world.

The reasons are simple: the web, like many a political refugee, lacks a
state. What's worse, it doesn't speak a language that will let it
express anything more than basic requests for food, shelter or yet another
poorly-resized JPEG image. Like all analogies this one breaks down pretty
quickly if you scratch it too hard, but it's worth keeping in mind
during the (necessarily) more technical explanation you're abou= t to
encounter.

It is important to understand how the web works. The web, like email, uses
a "client-server" model. The client, in this case your browser,
requests something -- a web page -- from a server. When a request is
received, and assuming the parts are all there and the client has
permission to take them, they are sent over the network by the server.
It's then up to the client to deal with them appropriately. In the case
of a web page the elements will usually be a document written using HTML,
the hypertext markup language, some image files and maybe extra bits and
pieces. It is all very simple, and it's made even simpler because the
browser and the server communicate using a language of their very own
called the Hypertext Transport Protocol, or HTTP.

The browser takes what it is given and displays it on your screen, laid
out as prettily as it can manage. However once we want to do anything more
complicated than display a page of text and graphics on a screen we
rapidly discover that both HTML and HTTP are simply not up to the job.

The problems with HTML are serious but understandable. When Tim
Berners-Lee created the web he wanted a simple text-based publishing tool
for the high-energy physics community, and a simple markup language that
let authors specify headings and link to other documents was fine.

But in 1993 two graduate students at a United States university decided
they could improve on Tim's work by writing a new browser which would
display images too. In order to make this work they had to change HTML by
adding the < IMG > tag -- and they started a process of non-standard
extensions which continues to this day.

The result is the mess we see today, where despite the best efforts of the
standards bodies it is still necessary to write dozens of lines of code at
the start of a web page in order to figure out which browser is in use, so
that the =93correct=94 version of the page can be sent over.

Present at the creation

It's an appalling mess, but it wasn't directly Tim's fault. However=
the same cannot be said for HTTP, the protocol which allows browsers to
ask for pages and servers to send them across the network. Here Tim's
desir= e for simplicity has led directly to our current problems, because
he decided that the server should treat each request for a page from a
browser as a separate transaction. The decision to make HTTP a
=93stateless=94 protocol has caused immense trouble. It's rather like b=
eing served by a waiter with short-term memory loss: you can only order
one course at a time because he will have forgotten your name, never mind
your dessert order, by the time you've had your first spoonful of
gazpacho.

Unfortunately many of the things that we want the web to do for us, from
online shopping to having a newspaper that tailors its pages to our
interests, rely on some degree of long-term interaction between client and
server. Cookies, small data files that are placed on a client computer by
the server, provide a partial solution, rather like the tattoos sported by
Guy Pearce in the film Memento, but they are inelegant, complicated and
far from reliable. As, indeed, the tattoos turn out to be.

We have spent the last decade fighting against the limitations of the web
standards, extending, breaking, reinventing and compromising with them to
the point where you can just about do online shopping, make pages look
reasonably attractive and even offer personalised services.

But enough is enough. Just as it is sometimes necessary to demolish old
buildings to make way for new, so it is time to move on from the web. It
isn't as if we need to look far for an alternative -- we've had one =
since 1990 when the web was just starting to emerge from CERN physics lab.
It's called =93distributed processing=94 and it enables programs to tal=
k to each other in a far richer, more complex and more useful way than the
web's standards could ever support.

Had it not been for the rush to embrace the web's page-based publishing
model, choosing the simple solution over the right one, we would have
proper distributed systems available today. Instead we have to invent
technologies which preserve the web approach while making it slightly more
usable, like the eXtensible Markup Language, or XML. Any tool that is too
embarrassed even to use the first letter of its full name for an
abbreviation is surely in trouble from the start.

Unusually for a company which is credited with following trends rather
than creating them, Microsoft saw this first. They never liked the web and
it was only the horrible realisation that every company, every net user
and every competitor was going to invest a vast amount of money, effort
and resources making it seem like it worked that forced Bill Gates to turn
the company around and give it a web focus late in 1995.

At the time their programmers were just beginning to explore the
possibility of direct programme-to-programme communication and
network-based collaboration between applications. Without the distraction
of the web we may well have had widespread distributed online services
five or even more years ago.

These services would not rely on the Web browser as the single way of
getting information from an online service, but would allow a wide range
of different programs to work together over the network. We already accept
that email, chat and even music sharing do not have to be Web-based, but
we can go much further.

A news site could deliver text, images, audio and even video through a
program designed for the purpose, instead of having to use a
general-purpose browser, or a shopping site could build its own shopping
cart and checkout that did nor rely on Web protocols. And we would have no
need for Google, because information services would advertise their
contents instead of having to be searched by inefficient =91spiders'.

The web may have served a purpose once, giving net users something
relatively simple to look at and use and convincing the world that being
online was a good thing, but it has done so at great cost to the
network's architecture and has diverted research into usable, scalable
and functional distributed systems for the last decade.

There is a deep need among the users for something better than the shoddy,
half-baked hypertext publishing model that we geeks foolishly embraced
back in the early 1990s. If we do not start delivering it the net itself
will stumble, fail and eventually die away, trapped in this stateless web
of deceit.