Jon Lebkowsky on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:07:00 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Glenn Smith on the WELL

Glenn Smith, author of _Politics of Deceit_, has been discussing his book
for the last couple of weeks on the WELL. The discussion's world-readable,
and it's definitely worth reading. Should be particularly interesting for
nettimers...

Here's an excerpt:

I think one of the difficulties is that Progressives always seem to be
doing battle on behalf of others, itself a noble calling. We have health
insurance, but we fight for those who don't. Our jobs have not been
exported oversees. We work for more than the minimum wage. This puts us at
some remove from those hyper-capitalism leaves behind. Psychologically,
I'm afraid we're fulfilled as much by taking up a cause as we would be by
winning. This is most obvious in someone like Ralph Nader, who seems
untroubled by the practical consequences of his self-righteousness.

Maybe this is easiest to see in the alienation of some American
intellectuals and artists from progressive movements, from Emerson to Bob
Dylan. In an interesting new book, "Hip: the History," John Leland makes
the point that engagement is the enemy of hip. Why is this?

I believe one of the reasons is that intellectual rebels like Emerson and
Dylan are not so much rejecting collective action as they are pointing out
movement members' self-absorption. Emerson was anti-slavery but he had a
hard time hanging out with the abolitionists. Same with Dylan and
anti-Vietnam War activists. Interestingly, their critique is often
mistaken for its opposite. They are not retreating to a Romantic
Individualism, the movement is. (However, Romanticism gets an exaggerated
bad rap from Marxists and post-modernists. Maybe we'll get to that later.)

What passes for a political or cultural "ideal" is often just disguised
desire. That's how a movement is turned into an audience. FM radio "goes"
commercial. Environmentalists buy their cultural identity at REI. Well,
the last thing we'd want to do in this circumstance is permanently satisfy
and so eliminate the desire by winning. So we don't. The consequences of
our failures, at least with regard to many economic issues, always fall on
others. Our consciences are clear.

Why don't rightests suffer from the same thing? In part because they've
put their entire world view at risk, as distorted as that world view is.
When they lose, they are the victims. Almost any means justifies their
end. George Lakoff says something really important about this. An
authoritarian's lie is not a lie when it's uttered to protect the family
(coherent world view). Until the family is publicly shamed by that lie,
until the rationale for the authority itself is undermined, no damage is
done to the cause by a lie.

As long as they hang together, and the GOP has done a masterful job of
uniting the right, we gain no converts by pointing out Bush's lies. To the
Right, we're just confused ideologues.

We're caught in a trap. The Left can't just mimic the Right and go to war
on behalf of a world view because we understand such unified world views
as monstrous. Communists tried it. I think I'm getting close to Adorno's
hopelessness, but it's not hopeless.

In the book I turned to the thought of the late Czech philosopher Jan
Patocka and his disciple, Vaclav Havel, poet-turned-president. When our
world view becomes a non-totalizing, pluralistic commitment to "living
within the truth," we succeed in putting more than our desire at risk. We
go to battle on behalf of one another and can't take refugee in the
self-satisfied construction of an identity at ease with perpetually
losing.

As Havel pointed out in the 1970s, it is just here that Western capitalist
democracies resemble the bureaucratic communist regimes of Eastern Europe
that crumbled in 1989. The weakness of totalizing world-views is that they
are captured by their lies. They are removed, quite literally, from
reality. Sooner or later they suffer from a disease their world view won't
recognize. And they will die.

"Living within the truth" then is principled political resistance. The
trick comes when we succeed and take the reigns of power. Then we must use
these principles against ourselves. The Czech Republic has not had so much
luck with this.

To wrap this up, I just want to point out that I believe our Emersons,
Thoreaus, and Dylans have long championed a similar approach. It's a kind
of "moral perfectionism," meaning not a reachable utopian ideal of
individual or collective perfection but the recognition that the self is
in perpetual motion, that it constantly evolves toward greater
understanding. Culture and political organization should promote and
protect these possibilities of freedom.

When I was in Boston for the Democratic convention this year I had the
great pleasure of talking through these parallels between the Emersonian
tradition and Patockian "living within the truth" with Harvard's Stanley
Cavell, the contemporary advocate of moral perfectionism. If the work of
Patocka and Havel is not at hand, read Cavell. Read Cavell no matter what.
He himself is modest about the political consequences of his work. But
that's just because he practices the moral perfectionism he preaches.

Jon Lebkowsky http://www.weblogsky.com