Felix Stalder on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:07:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Dean and Kerry: Hot and Cool

Reading Ronda's article, it seems to me that she, and a lot of other people
who write about Dean, the Internet and politics, miss some essential points.
Usually, the story is one about grassroots involvement, the power of
connectivity, etc. These are certainly important points, and they support a
story we all like to hear -- the Internet as a means of democratic
participation. Yet, the events suggest that underneath this, there might be a
different story.

One of the the events McLuhan referred to again and again, was the Nixon/
Kennedy debate in 1960, which was right at the transition from radio to TV as
the predominant means of mass communication. TV had reached a penetration of
about 50% of the households. The majority of people who listened to this
debate on radio thought that Nixon had come across better, while those who
watched it on TV thought Kennedy was more appealing.

McLuhan related this back to the particular characteristics of the two media,
calling radio 'hot' (high-definition, agitating) and TV 'cool' (low
definition, sedating) and concluded that different types of media favor
different types of politicians. The cool Kennedy was suited better for the TV
age than the hot-headed Nixon. (The fact that Nixon eventually became
president indicates a) politicians can adapt and b) McGovern was even
hotter.)

Anyway, as I watch some of the spectacle around the democratic primaries, it
strikes me that it could be possible that, again, we have the story of
different media favoring different types of personalities. Why? First, the
Dean campaign is different from other maverick campaigns (say, John McCain in
2000) insofar that it's clearly not the case of an independent, poorly
organized, under-funded campaign being steamrolled by superior organizing and
funding. After all, Dean has, by far, the most money and, arguably, the best
on-the-ground organization. So, this is not the classic outside-insider
story, largely thanks to the Internet, as many have observed.

Yet, could it be that exactly the kinds of qualities that make Dean so
attractive to get involved with via the Internet make him less appealing on
TV? Online, his 'radical' stance comes across as principled, as a clear
alternative. On TV, it comes across as arrogant and hot-headed. TV clearly is
a cool medium, favoring a cool demeanor by politicians. Nobody got this
across better than Clinton. Yet, cool politicians are not the types who feel
you need to help personally (unless in ultra-crass cases such as the
Clinton-impeachment that spawned moveon.org). On the Internet, spontaneity is
essential part of an engaging interactive experience, while on TV, it's
amateurish.

Dean, it seems, is in a difficult position. He needs to continue to appeal to
his Internet-based organization, which could fall apart as quickly as it was
assembled, yet he needs to tone himself down to make the transition onto TV
where the boring but authoritative-looking Kerry operates much more smoothly.

Following the McLuhan story, Dean-types would win, in the long run, as we move
from TV-based to Internet-based politics, but things are never that smooth.
In the short-run, I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Felix