eduardo on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:20:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> on new states of affairs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Wang" <danwang@mindspring.com>

> Brian, you are brave to be imagining these kinds of things. But I'm afraid
> the time for this country to move in any such rational directions is over.
> I was in China a few weeks ago, my first time out of the country since
> 9/11. Looking back at the US from afar and through the eyes of foreign
> media, the overwhelming perception is one of a country gone stagnant.
> Rummy was wrong; it is not Europe that is old, but the US.

<--snip-->

>The essential conservatism of the US runs deeper than most people can
> possibly comprehend, and it doesnąt have anything to do with ideology.
>
> Dan w.
<--snip-->
-------------------
My response:

Quite an interesting position to take as a traveler (notice I did not state
tourist) looking at a familiar culture through the lens of another nation.
I would like to point out that the media in China is just as biased as any
other country's.  Change during a time when keeping it together is a big
part of the plan usually means that the daily news might (just might...) be
tainted with certain ideology of national progress defined according to
damnations of  another nation.  Just a posibility to consider. As to "the
essential concervatism of the US" not having  anything to do with ideology,
I would state that it is quite the contrary.

Best,

Eduardo Navas