Bruce Sterling on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 07:34:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Viridian Note 00377: Viridian Commentary

Key concepts:  Reader commentary, record-setting heat
waves, massive forest fires, droughts, climate change,
beetles, nuclear power plants, fish death

Attention Conservation Notice:  Lengthy accounts
by various interested Viridian parties on the morale-
denting mayhem of weather violence.  Almost 2,500 words.

Links:

Viridian Gizmo Extravaganza!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/03/1059849278131.html
The blood-glucose battery == sugar into voltage.  These
gizmos will likely catch on big-time once people realize
that that they cause weight-loss.

Simputers on the market.  If you find a place to buy one,
tell me.

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/rnb_073103.asp
The handheld DNA detector.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9397.shtml
DoCoMo's fuel-cell cell-phone.

http://www.iht.com/articles/105476.html
Homeland Security now pitifully scared of these gadgets,
plus all others.

From: Peter Miller peter*perpetualocean.com

"Here in Australia, we are seeing the warmest winter
temperatures on record. Which offers us pathetic images of
daft tv weathermen gurgling about the 'wonderful warm
sunny days'. I keep screaming at the television (to my
wife's dismay) 'It's WINTER you morons. It's supposed to
be cold!'

"And the country-wide drought continues.

"I can't wait for summer here. 37 degrees C? Cakewalk."