nettime's_conscientious_digestor on Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:32:19 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> [IRAQ] digested conscience [recktenwald, wark, valdes]

Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
     Belgium - Keeper of the World's Conscience (fwd)
"McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>
     Military Globalism
Ana Valdes <agora@algonet.se>
     from Irak

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:42:53 +0100 (CET)
From: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Belgium - Keeper of the World's Conscience (fwd)

While we are waiting or not for this big bang in Bagdad,
reminds to Entebbe multimedia, some real people realy dead,
the Berlin TAZ last year had pictures of men eating men in
Africa, all in Adidas stripes, now this:

Dear list members,

I am a little bit 'fascinated' by the contemporary
efforts by Belgium to assert the efficacy of
international criminal law, not in the least by recent
references to Belgian statutes in that regard.

Although I have not seen any of the statutes, I cannot
but wonder aloud, in what ways do those statutes seek
to hold those Belgian contractors and agents
accountable for exporting thousands of matchets to
Rwanda between 1993 and 1994?

Was the Belgian Act(together with its amendments)
meant only to pursue and get hold of bratty dictators
and small fish alone?

Those who promote Belgian image-laundering through
this list should remind the authorities to revisit
those CAH etc that were aided by Belgians who still
walk free on the streets of Brussels.

So I think.