nettime's_tin_cup on Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:39:30 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> brother, can you spare a rhizome digest [calin, bowman, hwang]

"calin" <calin@xs4all.nl>
     Re: Your Rhizome.org membership has just expired
"Brice Bowman" <brice@bricebowman.com>
     Re:<nettime> Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Re: One Day Left
Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     Re: <nettime> Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Re: One Day Left

From: "calin" <calin@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Your Rhizome.org membership has just expired
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:23:57 +0100

Dear Rhizome Crew!

i do not know how did i started to get Rhyzome in my mail box. but i am
pretty sure i din't ask for that honor. still, it was good to keep up with
things....

but i vaguely remember that years ago it crossed my mind to send some info
for publication on your list. it was about some media activities goig on in
Romania, i presume, nothing special. probably that is why it never made it
on Rhyzome.

no problem, you people are too far from such places .... probably that is
why you keep coming back at me asking for subscription fees and so forth. i
am a very strong advocate of a fee-for-service policy in the field of
culture. and i keep myself from the too loud advocates of copy-left, free
acess etc., just because i do not have the time to cut a clear line between
the implications:  the ripping off of people like me and the anihilation of
public access to information.

but at the same time i find rather pathetic the attempts more and more
people, artists and institutions make at using the corporate wooden language
while claiming to belong to some obscure post-avantgarde resistance
movement. you want to make money, go somewhere where it is made (as New York
residents you should know better - at least that is the impression we get
about this while watching CNN). but please do not bother the marginals of
the economic pyramid in order to support your daily allowance.

or if you think that getting community money in order to support a noble
task is feasable and right, then beg nicely for our attention by explaining
what is going on, why do we have to give money and what are we going to get
from it.

as for the thank-you gifts, i heard and expression which - as a non-native
speaker of English -  i tend to like, without understanding clearly its
functioning:

stuff them!