nettime's_infernal_machinist on Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:21:35 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> frazzled bio art digest [thacker, crowley]

RE: Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art (Rifkin, bioart, science)
     "Eugene Thacker" <eugene.thacker@lcc.gatech.edu>
Re: <nettime> FW: [CSL]: Jeremy Rifkin: Dazzled by the science
     Amanda McDonald Crowley <amc@autonomous.org>

Subject: RE: Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art (Rifkin, bioart, science)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:45:37 -0500
From: "Eugene Thacker" <eugene.thacker@lcc.gatech.edu>

Aesthetic Biology, Biological Art=20

Eugene Thacker

1.

Reading over Jeremy Rifkin=92s article =93Dazzled by the Science,=94 one is=
 struck by a paradox. On the one hand there is the litany of controversial =
examples pertaining to biotechnology and art. You would expect a cohesive a=
rgument to emerge from this. But it doesn=92t. There=92s a position, howeve=
r, and it=92s very clear: biotech is bad. Or, if we were to be more generou=
s, we would say that Rifkin=92s position is that biotech is an infringement=
 upon nature, and as such is morally reprehensible, not least because it is=
 driven by economic imperatives. But this, to my mind, verges on being reac=
tionary. Why does it matter? It matters because Rifkin=92s article is exemp=
lary of the level of the current public discourse surrounding biotech. This=
 so-called public discourse mostly consists of poll-like perspectives on ho=
t topics such as cloning, GM foods, and stem cells. Are you for or against =
human cloning? You can vote now on a corporate-owned news media website nea=
r you.

The fault is of course not Rifkin=92s. Indeed, as a long-time author and ac=
tivist, Rifkin=92s work with the Foundation on Economic Trends has done muc=
h to influence public policy and to increase public awareness of very real =
and pertinent issues such as genetic patenting, cloning, and environmentali=
sm. So, in a sense, it is disappointing to see someone who has authored sev=
eral books critical of biotech take such as reductive position. But then ag=
ain, The Biotech Century followed a similar pattern: a litany of controvers=
ial examples from the biotech industry, accompanied by condemnations of bio=
tech=92s market-driven infringement upon nature. The end of Rifkin=92s arti=
cle in The Guardian states: =93Now that we can begin re-engineering ourselv=
es, we mistakenly think of the new technological manipulation as a creative=
 act, when in reality it is merely a set of choices created in a laboratory=
 and purchased in the marketplace. The biotech revolution is the ultimate c=
onsumer playground=85the new genetic technologies grant us a godlike power =
to select the biological futures of the many beings who come after us.=94

Rifkin=92s =93biotech-is-bad=94 position is actually twofold. First, it is =
bad because it transgresses the sacred boundaries between the natural and a=
rtificial worlds, between biology and technology, between =93godlike=94 cre=
ation and instrumental artifact. Second, biotech is bad because it is motiv=
ated by predominantly economic concerns (find a gene, make a pill, sell it =
to you). Now the question: does one position necessarily imply the other? I=
n other words, can we develop a political-economic critique of biotechnolog=
y, without having to adopt the moralizing of the first position? Again: why=
 does this matter? It matters because too often, in the public discourse on=
 biotech, political critique slides into moral conservatism. Rifkin does no=
t =96 or cannot =96 distinguish these two positions. For him, saying that b=
iotech is bad is also saying that something mysterious called =93nature=94 =
is good, and that the latter should by all means be protected from the inva=
sion by the former.=20

But we might ask =96 what is the =93opposite=94 of biotechnology? Indeed, w=
hat is biotechnology? Sure, there are definitions in molecular genetics tex=
tbooks, as well as pop science books on the genome, but definitions vary. I=
s the selective breeding of animals or selection of seeds biotech? If so, b=
iotech is a very old practice indeed, extending back to antiquity. Or is it=
 only techniques developed after genetic engineering in the 1970s? If so, t=
hen =93technology=94 is equivalent to lab gadgets. Historians like Robert B=
ud have adopted one approach often taken: biotechnology is a set of practic=
es, in which biological =93life=94 is appropriated for human use in a range=
 of industries (chemical, biomedical, agricultural). Recent work in science=
 studies and sociology has been more specific: biotechnology is a discourse=
 in which what is legitimately recognized as =93life=94 is reformulated alo=
ngside emerging scientific, cultural, and political paradigms (molecular bi=
ology=92s genetic =93code=94 =96 see the work of Lily Kay, Richard Doyle, H=
ans-Jorg Rheinberger, Donna Haraway, Vandana Shiva, Catherine Waldby). Crit=
ical Art Ensemble =96 one of the groups condemned by Rifkin =96 have been m=
ore specific on biotech. Biotechnology is first and foremost an industry, a=
nd as such it functions as a =93flesh machine,=94 generating new products a=
nd services, and thereby creating new niche markets, in the process transfo=
rming public understandings of what counts as nature, the body, and health.

None of this should be new or surprising to anyone who has followed the new=
s headlines concerning the genome project, stem cell debates, or the latest=
 genetic chimeras. The point here is that, when positing a critique of biot=
ech, we would do well to assess our own position as well. What are we prote=
cting when we condemn biotechnology? Is it a mythical, pre-technological st=
ate of nature? Is it the last remnants of our faith in the uniqueness of =
=93the human=94? Is it theology (if not religion)? Is it the dream of a pos=
t-capitalist society? In a sense, critiquing biotech is easy. Finding =93ba=
d guys=94 to point at is easy. The hard part is figuring out what the criti=
que is defending.

Actually, finding the bad guy in biotech is not so easy. Corporations are a=
lways easy targets, and, in a sense, convenient straw men. (Literally.) Is =
the problem only economic? We are mistaken if we think that an extraction o=
f the economic aspects of biotech will solve any problems. Supposing that w=
e could somehow separate economics from bioscience research, we would still=
 be left with a series of epistemological and ontological issues. But we sh=
ould also be clear. Yes, there have been and are now injustices which have =
occurred in relation to the biotech industry, and which raise issues concer=
ning human rights, environmentalism, bioterrorism, and cross-cultural negot=
iations concerning sustainability. And yes, in such cases accountability sh=
ould be an issue, no matter how monolithic a government agency or pharmaceu=
tical corporation may seem.

All of this is to suggest something quite simple: that Rifkin=92s article, =
exemplary of the public discourse on biotechnology, is as reductive as the =
science and art he denounces.

2.

Now part two. Rifkin may be reductive, but saying so is not a round-about w=
ay of defending the scientists and artists he critiques. Rifkin is mis-info=
rmed =96 or un-informed =96 about biotech research and bioart. But his basi=
c points are well worth considering, if in a more articulated manner.

In short, Rifkin is mostly right about bioart. Much bioart is just bad art,=
 =93bio-=93 or no =93bio-=93. But to lump together scientist-entrepreneurs =
like Venter (of Celera), and artists like Eduardo Kac into one group is rid=
iculous. Clearly Rifkin has not done his homework (and no, visiting website=
s does not count). And there are not only numerous exceptions to the rule, =
but differences between artists. Critical Art Ensemble=92s work is very, ve=
ry different form the work of Kac. Different approaches, different methods,=
 different media, different positions (indeed, one may guess that CAE would=
 eschew the very notion of =93bioart=94). Anyone who has taken even a surfa=
ce interest in the current intersections of art and biology knows that ther=
e is a great deal of diverse work out there, being produced in a range of c=
ontexts. Which, again, doesn=92t mean it=92s all good art. But it is both a=
n emerging and a diverse field.=20

That being said, we can refine some of Rifkin=92s comments concerning bioar=
t:

- Bioart usually benefits the artists more than the scientist collaborators=
 While there are a great many examples of scientists collaborating with ar=
tists on projects, there are a few asymmetries worth noting. First, the wor=
k itself is usually shown in an art context. Second, if publication occurs,=
 it is more likely to be in an art journal than a scientific one. Third, wh=
en instances of professional recognition arise (e.g., tenure & promotion), =
the artist gets recognition, while the scientist often does not. Fourth, ar=
tists and scientists work with very different funding budgets. Very differe=
nt.

- The context for bioart is often the site of the gallery. This may not be =
problematic in itself, but when bioart claims to be speaking about biotech =
in terms of education and public awareness, then we have to wonder about th=
e site of this engagement. The art gallery is itself a specialized site, qu=
ite alienating for many people. How can art claim to reach a public about s=
cience, when it still has not resolved its inability to reach a public abou=
t art?

- In bioart, =93gee-whiz=94 science often overwhelms critical engagement. T=
hat is, bioart often eschews ethical considerations in favor of technical o=
nes. Anyone will admit that learning how to work the automatic sequencing m=
achine is cool, but it is worthwhile to reflect on it a little. The old que=
stion =93can I do this=94 versus =93should I do this=94 is worth reconsider=
ing in the context of bioart practices =96 as art practices.

- Bioart can sometimes become PR for the biotech industry. In some cases th=
e aestheticization in bioart can feed into the =93rhetoric of wonder=94 abu=
ndant in popular discussions of the genetic understanding of life. It is fa=
scinating that your DNA stretched out is five feet long (or whatever it is)=
 And=85?=20

- But not all bioart is formalist. In fact, a number of artists enjoy and c=
ultivate the =93outsider-artist=94 persona, which indicates that bioart may=
 be attempting to fashion itself as the new avant-garde (oh no, not again=
=85). By pitching itself as transgressive, bioart risks replaying the tired=
 narrative of mainstream recuperation. Except that recuperation will this t=
ime be activated by government research institutions and biotech companies =
with programs titled =93a celebration of art and science.=94 (Might we some=
day see artists as spokespeople for pharmaceutical companies?)

It should be clear that an overall attempt to carefully differentiate the t=
opics under discussion is needed. Again, Rifkin=92s article and position is=
 symptomatic. While it may be tempting to demonize =93biotech industry=94 a=
s a whole, we need to pay attention to the way in which biotechnology is be=
coming more and more diversified. Take genomics. It=92s not just =93the=94 =
human genome project, it=92s human genome projects, plural. It=92s also tie=
d to structural genomics, proteomics, pharmacogenomics, population genomics=
, studies of polymorphisms, haplotypes, SNPs, and of course all that junk D=
NA. Each of these are sub-industries and sub-disciplines in themselves. The=
 more one learns about the rabid specialization in biotech, the more it bec=
omes difficult to say that the biotech industry does this or that. Again, t=
he question is not whether this is good or bad (though diversification is a=
lways good for revitalizing the flows of capital). The question is that we =
have not yet learned how to ask adequate questions.

The same can be said for the loose grouping of art-science collaborations c=
alled =93bioart.=94 The work of bioartists such as Critical Art Ensemble, J=
oe Davis, Natalie Jeremijenko, Kac, SymbioticA, and Adam Zaretsky is anythi=
ng but a homogenous group of tech-geeks doing it =93just because.=94 I won=
=92t say that every bioart project is unproblematic, but I will say that th=
e issues and methods employed are incredibly diverse, from performance, to =
sculpture, to robotics, to tissue engineering, to activism. The more one le=
arns about the manifold intersections between art and science (and their pr=
oblematics), the more ridiculous it seems to imply an equivalence between b=
ioart and entrepreneurial biotech.

3.

This has already been too long just to make a few points. What to do. Why n=
ot be prescriptive?

First, we need to, once and for all, dispense with the easy opposition betw=
een pro- and anti-biotech positions. Again, while there are very serious is=
sues regarding biotech that need to be directly addressed =96 biopiracy, pa=
tenting, globalized health care, informatization =96 simply condemning a mo=
nolithic =93thing=94 called the biotech industry helps no one. To simply de=
monize biotech is to miss the point. The problem is not just economics in b=
usiness, not just reductionism in science, not just moralizing in the human=
ities. It is all of these together. What is needed is not a persecutional s=
earch for the bad guy; what is needed is the ability to develop a critical =
engagement with biotech. The theorists and artists mentioned so far all sup=
port this basic position.

Second, there is a need to reconsider our views of technology in light of t=
he ongoing advances in biotechnology. Over 30 years ago, Marshall McLuhan f=
amously declared that the =93medium is the message=94 =96 and thirty years =
before that Walter Benjamin warned against the =93aestheticization of polit=
ics=94 he saw in avant-garde art such as Futurism. Unlike computer technolo=
gies, bio-technologies take life itself as the means and the medium. Life b=
ecomes indissociable from technological instrumentalization. A medium is no=
 longer a =93machine=94 (in the literal sense of the term), be it a TV, VCR=
, or computer. A medium is above all a process, a transformation, and an ob=
jective. What do we see with biotech? A process of steadily reiterating a n=
ew central dogma: genetics is code and code is both immaterial (in the comp=
uter, in silico) and material (affecting a patient, in vivo). We also see t=
hat process (encoding, recoding, decoding) affecting transformations: gene =
discovery, genetically-designed drugs, stem cell therapies, GM foods, etc. =
Finally, that process and its resultant transformation occur within a set o=
f objectives (and this is where it gets sticky): for the pharmaceutical ind=
ustry, that objective is making pills; for the biotech industry, that objec=
tive is raising capital and demonstrating effective clinical trials; for th=
e IT industry, that objective is feeding high-tech into biotech; for the he=
alth care sector, that objective is assessing whether or not genetic medici=
ne will become a part of routine health care; and so on. What do we have wh=
en biology is a technology? What do we have when our notions of technology =
are no longer decisively separate from our biologies? We have something tha=
t can only be called =93biomedia.=94

Third, as public discussions over biotech continue, those of us involved ne=
ed to be aware of the moment when political activism turns into moral conse=
rvatism. Positioning oneself against the patenting of living beings is one =
thing; but offering a view of an untainted, pure nature against invasive bi=
o-technologies is quite another. We do not need religious or moral fundamen=
talism in order to counteract and intervene in the biotech industry.=20

Rifkin=92s overall anxiety is strangely expressed - as if the real threat i=
s that publicly available biotechnologies will spawn a new fashion movement=
 (bioPrada?). While Rifkin cites a number of controversial examples, it app=
ears that the primary reason for their being condemned is that they infring=
e upon nature (human biology included). Rifkin=92s comments are noteworthy =
when they raise the question of ethics. But it is not clear to me how, in t=
his day and age, we can still make an argument for a pure nature beyond the=
 reach of technology or artifice. According to Rifkin=92s exceedingly broad=
 terms, we=92ve had human =93bio-technologies=94 for sometime. It=92s calle=
d the institution of marriage. Again and again, the position being expresse=
d by Rifkin appears to simply be that biotech transgresses the sacred domai=
n of nature. Crossing genes, goat + sheep, fish + plant, human genes in mic=
e, spider genes in goats, genetically-engineered super-spiders?... The arit=
hmetic of this position is straightforward. And incredibly reductive. And w=
hat is the true definition of art for Rifkin, in this context? Art is an =
=93expression of love.=94 No comment. If art has a definition, it certainly=
 isn=92t as formulaic as that (or so one would hope). Rifkin=92s understand=
ing of art is no more sophisticated than the scientists he criticizes.

All the same, Rifkin=92s point concerning non-scientists doing science pose=
s a thought experiment: will the PC happen to biotech? Is the human genome =
project the equivalent of the ENIAC? In other words, if the tools, techniqu=
es, and knowledge of molecular genetics and biotechnology are opened to the=
 public, will this be a moment of liberation or of enslavement? Likely neit=
her. But it does beg the question: if we condemn renegade scientists and av=
ant-garde artists, different as they are, then who holds the privilege to m=
ake decisions about who can have access, about how knowledge is disseminate=
d? Not so long ago the same question was posed in relation to computers. Bu=
t, you say, computers are just machines, just a bunch of bits, totally diff=
erent from the =93real stuff=94 of biology. Perhaps. But have computers not=
 been as materially effective in transforming our lives as any biotechnolog=
y? Recall the U.S. government=92s ongoing paranoia surrounding hacking and =
computer terrorism. Computers have also affected modes of production, and n=
ot only in Third World microchip factories. Work is no longer an activity t=
hat takes place at an office; labor is immanent, biopolitical.=20

The anxieties surrounding biotechnology are no different, and certainly not=
 new. (Brave New World, yes. But also Dr. Moreau, Frankenstein, The Golem, =
even Ovid=92s Metaphorphoses.) The double-bind expressed by Rifkin is the f=
ollowing: on the one hand, there is a deep anxiety about and mistrust of bi=
otechnologies. But on the other hand, there is an even deeper anxiety about=
 such technologies becoming accessible to the general public (=93let into t=
he wild,=94 as it were). So the question pertains to the policing of discip=
lines as much as policy decisions or economics. And we police our own disci=
plines, meaning that we police our own set of knowledges as well, and the w=
ays in which those knowledges are instrumentalized. The solution is clearly=
 not to just open the gates and give every citizen their own PCR machine. W=
e need to complexify our understanding of the issues beyond the ballot-ment=
ality (are you for human cloning or against? Are you for or against bioarti=
sts? How about that on the next ballot?=85). Recognizing that this stalemat=
e must be overcome is an important step.

=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=
Eugene Thacker, PhD
School of Literature, Communication & Culture
Georgia Institute of Technology
=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=
eugene.thacker@lcc.gatech.edu
http://www.lcc.gatech.edu/~ethacker
=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=AC=