nettime's_ticker on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:06:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> warm bodies, cold media digest [weisman, da rimini, dominguez]

Mike Weisman <popeye@speakeasy.org>
     Re: <nettime> barlow@anti-war demo
francesca da rimini <gashgirl@systemx.autonomous.org>
     anti-war chronicles
"ricardo dominguez" <rdom@thing.net>
     Re: <nettime> barlow@anti-war demo [S]

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:04:32 -0800
Subject: Re: <nettime> barlow@anti-war demo
From: Mike Weisman <popeye@speakeasy.org>

On 10/27/02 6:51 PM, geert lovink wrote:

> The puzzling question to me is, why are the media going along with George
> II on this. What the hell is in it for them?

> But it's not important to the media. Why?

John Perry Barlow remembers a bit of high school history.  Hearst did use
his newspaper to help start the Spanish-American War.  But not to sell
papers.

Newspapers today (and even then) don't make money from selling papers.  They
make money from selling ads. And many make money today from the value of
their properties, including real estate, radio and TV stations, book
publishing, and investments.

As the US economy enters the decline of its eventual demise, all aspects of
the economy are going through dislocation.  Real estate in the few remaining
stable areas of the country is too expensive to buy, and agents are loath to
put inventory on the market at declining prices.  Newspaper ad sections are
almost non-existent.  During the dot.com boom there was an entire section of
jobs ads; now there are almost none.

Display ads are also in decline.  No more full page color ads for Pets.com
or MyLackey.com. No more tombstones for floating new issues; there are no
new issues.

Polls show that the vast majority of the country supports the war. The
conventional wisdom is that the war will help the economy, although that has
never been the case in the 20th century.  The markets will decline
precipitously if the US actually goes to war, an action that becomes less
probable each day as the Bush administration backs off its war talk with the
realization that it isn't going to influence the election and may even have
hurt their chances to retake the Congress.  But newspapers hope the war will
increase the value of their investments, generate more consumer ads and
classifieds, and lead to new vigor in the real estate market, where they
really make their money. They also hope the Bush administration will
continue to relax restrictions on media ownership, so that newspapers can
expand their media footprint and make money from 'synergies.'  Remember
'synergies' from the dot.com boom?   Keep in mind too, that most US
reporters today are conservatives, not liberals, according to research.

The war will also destroy what's left of the real estate market, and owners
in must sell situations will take a loss.  Purchase of major appliances and
cars, which currently sell with the help of zero-interest loans, will end.
And forget new investment in the stock market.  Buy gold. Newspapers are
betting like contrarians, hoping that I am wrong about all this, and that
the war will restore the vigor that papers enjoyed during the Clinton years,
when consumers were more confident about the future.

John is right about one thing: no one has any faith or trust in the nation's
leadership, left or right, young or old.  The level of distain and
discouragement is higher than ever before.  With good reason, because the
political leadership of this country has absolutely no plan for the future,
no post war plan, no war goals, no economic program except to burn more coal
and turn back the clock to 1950, and no educational program.  Blame John
Perry Barlow and his friends like Bill Gates and George Gilder, who took the
'Me' generation to its absurd extreme, pontificating on the need to keep
regulation out of the technology sector and creating an entire philosophy
around selfishness, stupidity, and ignorance as virtues.  Boo hoo.

The future will be more like Red Dawn than Secaucus Seven.  Welcome to the
new shrinking, ostracisized, poor, declining, and impotent US.  Its not the
triumphant country in John's songs.   But it could have been.

Mike Weisman
Seattle

--
Please respond to: