nettime's digest on Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:45:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI
     Diana McCarty <diana@vifu.de>

   Re: <nettime> Apologies for posting Josephine Bosma, review of
     "b g" <brucegottlieb@hotmail.com>

   Re: <nettime> Apologies for posting Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI
     "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:56:31 +0200
From: Diana McCarty <diana@vifu.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Josephine Bosma, review of Documenta XI

Sigh... I'm with Mr. Spooky. Josephine, even for an article in progress,
your review of Documenta XI exposes assumptions that really need to be
questioned. Disneyland opened up shop just outside of Paris a few years
back for those that need cheering up on this continent (not to mention a
hell of a lot more interesting interactive gadgets than one finds within
new media art). Even having seen just a tiny fragment of the show, I take
issue with you summing up its only positive aspect as "its openness to
artists that are not white, male and 'western'." With all due respect, you
are missing the point - It is not a mere "openness" to individual artists
that don't represent the establishment, it is a conscious focus on
political work done by artists from all over. As in international, global.
Maybe a bit of west african dancing would have lightened things up enough?

Josephine, what on earth are you talking about with suggesting that
Enwezor has no background in art?  What depressed me the most about your
review is that while you dismiss the exhibition as "protestant" and
preachy, you yearn for exactly those few new media artists that work
politically (with the exception of OBN) to say "... this much clearer?""
What does that mean exactly? How would those pedantic works not preachy
enough have benefited by being "explained" by these white/western/male new
media types? What I find positive about the show is that Enwezor and his
team do have a vision, an agenda, one that challenges the bubble gum
status quo art work that Hickey (and plenty of others) advocate. And it is
intelligent. Is Enwezor an expert in new media and copyright? Far from it,
but gee, would you believe it? Instead of dismissing those points as
useless, he actually joined a discussion and got engaged there. He might
even, oh gasp, do a little research and find out more about these topics.
I'm including a portion of Enwezor's bio which is easily accessible on the
Documenta XI website at the end of this mail.

You end with " This Documenta seems to be a message of change to all those
who would like to see art as something which represents the so called
virtues of the "free west". The problem is however that there are not that
many people who really believe in those virtues anyway, especially amongst
the European art audience." What do you mean with virtues of the free
west?  Intelligent works? Political? Sorry my dear, but I think you are
way off on all counts with this one... Maybe you need to go back for a
second viewing and bring your own bubble gum to chew on while you reflect
on what that show is really about.

Love,

Diana

Born in Nigeria, Okwui Enwezor, is the Artistic Director of Documenta11, in
Kassel Germany, 2002. He was the Artistic Director of the 2nd Johannesburg
Biennale, 1997. Enwezor until recently hold a position as the Adjunct
Curator of Contemporary Art at the Art Institute of. He is the publisher
and founding editor of Nka: Journal of Contemporary African Art, a critical
art journal co-published with the African Studies Center at Cornell
University. A poet, critic, and curator, Enwezor has written extensively on
contemporary African art and artists, as well as on American and
international art and artists. His recent essays have appeared in numerous
international exhibition catalogues and books, including Future, Present,
Past (47th Venice Biennale). Inklusion Exklusion (Steirischer Herbst, Graz,
Austria). CROSSING: Time, Movement, Space (Art Museum, University of South
Florida, Tampa). Interzones (Kunstforigen, Copenhagen). Transforming the
Crown (Studio Museum in Harlem and Bronx Museum). Contemporary South
African Art: Gencor Collection (Jonathan Ball Publishers, Johannesburg).
Democracy's Images: Photography and Visual Art After Apartheid (BildMuseet).

As a critic, Enwezor is a correspondent for Flash Art, consulting editor to
Atlantica (a bilingual art and culture publication of the Museo Centro
Atlantic de Arte Moderno, Canary Islands), editor-at-large of aRude and a
regular contributor to Frieze, International Review of African-American
Art, Third Text, Index on Censorship, Glendora Review, Africa World Review,
African Profiles International and SIKSI, amongst others.

He was one of the speakers at 100 days - 100 guests (Documenta X, Kassel,
1997), Ecole des Beaux Arts Superieur, (Paris), Royal College of Art
(London), Moderna Museet, (Stockholm), National Arts Academy (Oslo), Center
for Curatorial
Studies, Bard College (Annandale on Hudson, New York), Humboldt University
zu Berlin, and Columbia University, New York.

Some of Enwezor's curatorial credits are In/sight: African Photographers,
1940-Present, which he co-curated at the Guggenheim Museum (New York).
Modern Life at Alijira Center for Contemporary Art in conjunction with
the Newark Museum. Mirror's Edge, Bild Museet, Umea and Kiasma : Museum of
Contemporary Art, Helsinki. He was one of a group of international curators
preparing a major survey of conceptual art, entitled Global Conceptualism
at the Queens Museum (New York) in April 1999. He also organized a major
survey of South African Photographer David Goldblatt at Equitable Gallery
(New York) during 2000. He organized The Short Century: Independence and
Liberation Movements in Africa, 1945-1994 at the Museum Villa Stuck, Munich
which opened in March 2001 and traveled to Berlin, Chicago and New York.