Nettime mailing list archives

Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework
Alan Sondheim on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:14:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

There is collaboration in a number of ways. None of us (examples you give)
operate or produce in a vacuum; my work often requires assistance or col-
laboration, to the extent that "my" becomes suspect. The identities I work
with - "Nikuko" and others - are also disseminations across other
practices (IRC, newsgroups, email lists, etc.) and others have also taken/
used the name. There were also projects created for the trAce online
writing group which were all collaborations in the traditional sense; one
of them, Lost, is still running.

Then there is also a question of nettime; what I place on nettime (and
this may be true of others you mention) is what nettime accepts; the
collaborative dance/bodywork has no place or room here; this is also true
for most of the directory material on the cdroms. An email is almost
always signed, leaving its trace; it is a trail which almost literally
hystericizes its identity function in the full header. And again, this
affects, if not effects, what any of us are capable of doing in this

Alan -

Internet text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html
Trace Projects at http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm

#  more info: majordomo {AT} bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime {AT} bbs.thing.net