Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:42:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

ken,

this thread was still hanging around ... i want to take issue with your
claim that the codework you reference is an example of collaborative,
non-identity oriented practice.

>Codework makes of
>writing a media art that breaks with the fetishism of the text and the
>abstraction of language. It brings writing into contact with the other
>branches of media art, such as music and cinema, all of which are
>converging in the emerging space of multimedia, and which often have a
>richer conception of the politics of media art as a collaborative practice
>than has been the case with writing conceived within the prison-house of
>"text."

i fully respect your examples as artistic/literary practices, but in what
way are jodi, mez, antiorp/nn, sondheim etc. representatives of open
processes? jodi's work is good _because_  jo&di have the code under
control, just as mez is an _author_, machine-aided, style-enhanced, yes,
but an author. just as antiorp/nn - the most collaborative entity in the
series, i guess - poses as one; we all know they are several, but they
exhibit a clear sense of ideological tightness and closure. the identities
may be fictional, but i don't see that any of these breaks out of the
identity shell. nn might be the best gamer, but its insults are too much
for my stomach. [she'll call me a weak imbecile for this remark, won't you,
dear?]

what you describe are machinic processes, yes, but the kinds of
collaborative practices that heico idensen talks about (in the hypertext
world mainly) - i don't see them in your codework examples. is artistic
codework more authorial than open source programming?

greetings,
-a