nettime_post_traumatic_supervisor on Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:26:45 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> in the aftermath [digest x6]

1. From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
   Subject: Re: On Vengeance and the people of Afghanistan

2. From: Eric Miller <eric@squishymedia.com>
   Subject: on bombing Afghanistan, and the Islamic world context

3. From: Liz Turner <liz@ephidrina.org>
   Subject: a little bit of optimism?

4. From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
   Subject: (Fwd) Speculation: Israel Knew!

5. From: roya// <roya@girlfish.net>
   Subject: the tidal wave of rascism ...

6. From: stefaan van ryssen <svr4m@pophost.eunet.be>
   Subject: tears on command

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:34:55 -0400

Bin Laden had essentially drive himself into a hole. And I am not sure that it
is in the Taliban's best interest to continue to protect him. Afghanistan was
hit by retaliatory strikes after Bin Laden's proteges set bombs off in the US
embassies in Africa. The US chose to play fair and not retaliate when USS Cole
was hit - because that was a military vessel and, in a war, it was a legitimate
target. Obviously, there is no way anybody would forgive the mastermind of this
tragedy. Retaliatory strikes would not do this time, either. Bin Laden is
needed alive and in court. Also, it would be nice to have him around, so he can
tell us how many more groups of pilots live among us as silent neighbors and
wait for the commercial flights resume so they can hijack planes and smash them
in largely populated areas. I think that Taliban understand very well that
their best wager at the moment is to capture and surrender Bin Laden
peacefully. Couple of weeks ago he probably had their main political opponent
assasinated as an act of good will, hoping that would assure him their
continuous protection. But I think he overstayed their welcome with this last
insanity. They are recognized by three countries in the world and one of them -
Saudi Arabia - wants Bin Laden dead. They border with countries of former
Soviet Union, which depend on Russia for their survival, and Russia wants him
dead, too - many mothers there grieve their sons that were killed by Bin Laden
mujahedeen.  They also border with Iran - that also wants Bin Laden dead,
because he was supporting the faction in Afghanistan that fought against the
Iran-sponsored mujahedeen. Escape to China is not an option, either, because
the last thing China needs, regardless of its anti-U.S. rethoric, is an islamic
fundamentalist zealot. And Pakistan values its friendship with the US more than
its friendship with Bin Laden. So, it should be a no-brainer for Taliban. I've
heard that a friend of Garry Adams died in the WTC crash, too. Killing fellow
professionals is never a good way to stay in business. Bin Laden's problem is
that he has no friends left - everybody is frightened and disgusted with the
Sepetmeber 11 events. He reminds me of the evil characters from James Bond
movies - like Spectra - the rich outsider who wants to blow up the world. I
thought that characters like that are confined to movies, comic books and
novels. Bin Laden, however, somehow crossed from the toon-world to our world.
But increasingly his only option to escape is to launch himself into space like
Dr. Evil.