nettime's short-term memory on Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:34:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Have we not learned anything from the 90s?

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Have We Not Learned Anything From the 90s? OR, "abort, retry, fail
     Brad DeLong <delong@econ.Berkeley.EDU>

   AW: <nettime> Have We Not Learned Anything From the 90s? OR, "abort, retry, fail
     "ritchie" <ritchie@pettauer.net>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:17:26 -0400
From: nettime-l-request@bbs.thing.net
To: nettime@bbs.thing.net
Subject: BOUNCE nettime-l@bbs.thing.net: Approval required:

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:10:52 -0700
From: Brad DeLong <delong@econ.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Have We Not Learned Anything From the 90s? OR, "abort, retry, fail; the end of the cyber ethic"

>  hello all,
>
>    It surprises me to see so many still cleaving to
>the idea that the internet will somehow democratize
>society and lead us to some kind of mythic utopia in
>the near future.  It seems to me that this experiment
>has been carried out to its fullest extent in the past
>10+ years, resulting in a resounding "NO DICE"( to use
>the endemic NY expression ).
>    I find it dissapointing to the point of absurdity
>that people are still getting jazzed about things such
>as faster bandwidth( why should i spend thousands of
>dollars so I can watch TV on my computer?! ).  As if I
>wanted to spend 30$/month for a high speed connection
>so I can recieve 20X the number of ad banners I
>normally recieve( or i could revel in pornographic
>gluttony ).  Does anyone out there besides me find
>themselves spend frustrating hours in front of the net
>desperately searching for something interesting?

Nope. Not me. There is always something new and interesting on the
net--and there is always something old and interesting that I should
have read that is suddenly internet-accessible...

Brad DeLong

- --
"The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they
are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly
understood. Indeed, the world is ruled by little else. Practical men,
who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual
influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen
in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy
from some academic scribbler of a few years back..."

J. Bradford DeLong
Department of Economics, #3880
U.C. Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-3880
(510) 643-4027 phone; (510) 642-6615 fax
delong@econ.berkeley.edu; http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/