McKenzie Wark on 6 Dec 2000 04:51:49 -0000

Re: <nettime> Fw: Enemies of the Future

of course one can't say much about resource allocation, except
after the fact, in cases where it has clearly failed. I'm sure
we agree that the securities 'industry' could be better
regulated. But i'm not persuaded there's a better resource
allocation mechanism than markets where efficiency is the goal.
But why should it always be the goal? There are other
values that other resource allocation mechanisms can maximise.
One might value an equitable distribution of a resource, for
example, and entrust its allocation to the state. But take a
look at economies where the state plays a very large role, and
its not a pretty picture. Its hardly controversial to assert
that, comparatively, markets do better than the state, if
the goal valued is efficiency. The hard part is when you have
businesses, whole industries, that thrive off the imperfections
in the regulatory framework of a market. Who scream blue
murder when you want to make them accontable to a transparent,
competitive marketplace. The great myth of our times is that
markets are somehow naturally occuring, and that business left
to its own devices operates in a 'free market'. Markets require
a regulatory framework in which to function.