Phil Graham on 27 Sep 2000 16:34:14 -0000

Re: <nettime> books and cdroms

I forget his name, but an Australian systems theorist and educator
commented that our eyes had evolved to see reflected rather than projected
light. Whether or not CMI is easily stored and copied is not necessarily
the issue. Rather, it could be the problem of staring into what is
essentially a fairly bright light source that will make books a fairly
stable fixture in the near future. My laptop is easier to put up with than
the great big fluoro screen I have, but it's still throws out enough light
to see my way around the room, and I'm fairly short-sighted (and getting
shorter-sighted all the time). Even experimental electric paper is based
on what McLuhan called "light through" interfaces. Paper consumption,
world-wide, has doubled in the past ten years -- cf the paperless office,
etc. The flow of paper over my desk from bureaucrats, and the flood of
books and journals on just about any topic I can think of, certainly seems
to be on the increase.

Phil -- eyeless in Gaza