david teh on 13 Sep 2000 08:08:51 -0000

Re: <nettime> draft article on WTO

the idea of making it costly for corporations to
pollute/offend human rights etc is indeed one that
deserves more directed thought by the forces of
dissent.  but i do not believe it is a comprehensive
solution.

remember that every time you institute such a policy,
(a) you spawn a new economy devoted to legislating,
policing and reporting this activity, and thus raise
the issues you wish to patrol to a higher level of
mediated abstraction;

and (b) you also arguably bolster the biggest
corporations, which are the ones best cut out to handle
the new burden of 'compliance'.  the corporate sector
already spends whopping amounts of cashola on making
representations to the public sphere about how much
green samaritanism and 'community-building' it does,
witness the farcical expansion of the 'PR' and
marketing sectors in late capitalism (and its attendant
plague of Psych. graduates).

and if all these hacks need to be paid $40 000 p.a. +
dental plan, you see that you've created a new arm of
high-corporate activity - 'services' to be bought and
sold like any other, an army of consultants and PR-
types requiring more bleached A4 copy-paper, buying
more Nike runners fresh from the sweat-shops, buying
more neutralised mass-media content from NewsCorp, etc
etc... this is the way capital naturally recycles
itself, and in making the corporate sphere 'more
accountable' or 'attendant', you could just be greasing
up the auto-erotic machines of capital for more growth.

however, i do agree that some form of legally imposed
penalty should become the norm for transgression of our
most basic societal values.

David Teh

Quoting scotartt <scot@systemx.autonomous.org>:

> > corporations will simply never behave like humans, in
> > the interests of humankind, or on the basis of human
> > values.  from their very inception, they are created
> > with the specific goal of defying/manipulating these
> > values for profit.
>
> Just a point of order here David. Corporations are created with the
> specific goal of "profit" -- its illegal to run a public company for any
> other (primary) motive. Human values don't enter into the equation. They
> are just a set of factors that affect profitability.  So if defying these
> values (I have to point out, legally defying, because corps must obey the
> relevant laws as much as we as indivisuals do) produces better profit .. so
> be it, the corporations act that way.
 <...>