Ivo Skoric on Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:51:30 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> WNYE and The Law

I am interested if anybody can help me understand the legal
aspects of these findings. I found that WNYE (Ch. 25), which is a
publicly funded radio and TV station, had sold large portions of its
broadcasting slots to a small number of individuals and companies
that then re-sell their time to others for profit. This, in my opinion,
has a three-prong negative effect on public broadcasting in the
U.S., that may add some fuel to those who want to dispose of
public broadcasting alltogether: first it contravents the WNYE
charter which conditions that only the program that purchased the
slot should be broadcasted in that slot, second it blocks access to
this valuable outlet of public broadcasting for many new worthy
programs and third it misappropriates the trust of those who give
money to WNYE in good faith. Does anybody have any further
information on this practice and possible legal or other remedies?

Ivo