April on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:46:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 02-20-2003 [ File Property? + No - Don't Change My File ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

Neato CD/DVD Labeler Kit w/ Applicator
Design-Print-Apply
Perfect Labels Every Time!

Only $18.97!

Dragon Naturally Speaking
Delivers high accuracy speech recognition - even on laptops!

Only $39.97!

Learning Microsoft Windows XP
Interactive learning

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $6.97!

Microsoft Picture It! Photo 2002
Craete anything imaginable from your own pictures in a few easy steps

Only $24.97!

Bartlett's Quotations
Over 22,000 searchable quotations

Only $6.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $14.97!

Announcements

25 Ways To Improve Your PC!

I think this is the most one of the most useful packages we've ever offered and it's always a big seller! Oh, and wait till you see the great price!

What is it?

It's the Gizmos Mega Pak and it's loaded with all kinds of useful programs. Take a look at just some of its features:

The Vault - Securely encrypt and store your confidential files. You set the password and its 128 bit encryption insures that only YOU get access!

Organize Photos - It includes one of the best photo viewers I've ever seen. You tell it where the photos are (or have it search) and it displays a thumbnail of each. Just double-click an image to see it enlarged.

Cool Calendars - If you need the help of a calendar to keep track of appointments, look no further. This program includes a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly calendar - all extremely well done and good looking.

Fun Games - This software also includes 8 really well done card games (solitaire, free cell, etc). In addition, it also has a really cool puzzle game that gets progressively harder as you play. Oh, you can even listen to your own CDs while you play!

Awesome Clocks - Need to be somewhere at a certain time? Just set the alarm clock reminder! This program includes a number of really cool desktop clocks that beat the heck out of the one included with Windows.

Really Delete Files - Did you know that there is software out there that can recover files that have been removed from your recycle bin? If you need to be sure that a file is history, you can use the built-in file shredder to *really* remove it.

Make Presentations - Forget MS PowerPoint, here's a solution that everyone can afford! You can create your own slide / video shows, complete with narration if you like (you'll need a microphone if you want to narrate). If the person who is viewing the show doesn't have Gizmos on their computer, you can send them a player!

OK, sorry that was so long, but this software includes a lot of stuff!

Now for the price. We have this program for only $12.95 or $14.95 (depends if you want boxed or sleeved version) with FREE US SHIPPING! Remember, we do have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you don't like it, we'll take it back (don't worry, you'll love it)! Here's the info link:

Click Here To Get Your Gizmos!

PS - I want to stress that this is really something you should look at. We only have a limited quantity, and that may sell out VERY fast. If you're interested in this, get to the website ASAP!

MS Office 101

My Files Have Property?

Well, not exactly.

Your files don't own property (obviously) but they do have properties.

So what are file properties?

In general file properties are simply details that help identify your file.

Details? What details?

Well—things such as title, author, date created, last date modified and other statistics.

One way to see the properties of a file you can either go to the File menu, Properties choice while the file is open.

You can flip through the tabs to see the various properties for your file.

It's not as good as beach front property with a beautiful view—but then again it doesn't cost as much!

Office Tip of the Day

No! You Can't Change My File!

Have you ever created a file that was basically a form—something someone else could fill in and save under a different name—but not change the original form?

Or maybe you have a file you repeatedly fill out and want to prevent yourself from saving over the original.

Previously we've discussed passwords for files and that is one option for the situation.

But is there another way? One that doesn't throw up all the warning screens that passwords create.

Yes there is. (What else would you expect me to say at this point?)

In fact, today's tip comes from a situation I encountered at work just last week.

At school, we needed a form for our curriculum mapping—something that every teacher would use to record the curriculum for every subject they teach.

As traditional thinkers go, they wanted me to produce a form that everyone could use to write in the information.

Of course, that just wouldn't do.

In my mind, most people wouldn't want to spend the time hand writing their curriculum. I figured that if I was going to make the form in an MS Word table, then there was no reason why we couldn't enter our information in MS Word as well.

Once the idea was out there, it seemed easy. I design the form and then save the file on disk to distribute to the staff.

Sounds easy—right?

It is, except there was one catch: since the staff would have several maps to complete, I had to make the file so that the staff couldn't destroy the original form.

You see, I have a staff with varied computer experience—that includes some who need to be told to look on the A: drive to get a file from a disk. So, for this reason, I needed to lock the form down to make it so they couldn't destroy the blank form.

My first thought was to make a template.

However, I found that it didn't work. Word would allow changes to be saved in the template when it was on a disk. Exactly what I was trying to avoid!

I thought about using the passwords available in the Options of the Save window—but I was trying to avoid that. The password warnings and pop up screens would have confused some of the staff.

I needed something clean and easy—something that any of them could navigate.

And then it came to me—make the file read-only.

Not read-only with the save passwords, but actually change the properties of the file so that they couldn't save over the original.

It turned out to be the perfect solution—worked like a dream last week.

So, I figured that if it worked so well for me then it might be a solution for someone else.

Enough with the "what" we're going to do—let's get to the doing.

The first thing I did was to complete the form as I needed it. In other words, I made it perfect (or as close to it as I could get).

Then I saved the file.

Now, close the file.

Next you'll need to navigate to the file—not within an MS Office program—but through Windows Explorer or the My Computer icon.

However you like to navigate through your files you need to find the file you just saved.

Got it?

Good.

Now right-click on the file.

The pop up menu should have the Properties choice at the bottom. Select Properties.

The "Properties" window will open.

On the General tab you're looking for the Read-only choice in the Attributes section.

Check it.

Then click OK.

Now every time the file is opened it's safe. If the person who opens it tries to save over the file they'll be warned that it's a read-only file and prompted to save their work with a new name.

You should probably note that you'll have to go back out and uncheck the Read-only attribute in order to modify your file, but it's a small price to pay for file security.

~ April

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org