Domingo Amarillo on Wed, 6 Nov 2002 02:55:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] RE: The Death Of The Internet

What can we do in Canada to prevent the corporations from taxing the public
at large, and taking control of the internet. Any feedback is greatly
appreciated.

Domingo Amarillo
The Montreal Tribune
(514) 279-2500
damarillo@montrealtribune.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ernie yacub [mailto:yacinfo@mars.ark.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 3:00 PM
To: nettime; ncra
Subject: The Death Of The Internet

 http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/6600

The Death Of The Internet
How Industry Intends To Kill The 'Net As We Know It

Jeff Chester is executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy.

The Internet's promise as a new medium -- where text, audio, video and data
can be freely exchanged -- is under attack by the corporations that control
the public's access to the 'Net, as they see opportunities to monitor and
charge for the content people seek and send. The industry's vision is the
online equivalent of seizing the taxpayer-owned airways, as radio and
television conglomerates did over the course of the 20th century....