Nmherman on Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:51:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Multiples Show in S.F.

In a message dated 11/28/2001 6:06:25 PM Central Standard Time, Michael@Mandiberg.com writes:

For Fluxus artists, multiples were not only economical and
easy to distribute, but they were the best art form to present the ongoing
developments of the artists' ideas. Pop artists utilized mass-produced
objects as a commentary on consumerism, and by the latter half of the
decade, multiples became associated with the democratization of art.

Is Michael Daines' work "fluxist"?  I have nothing against MD but it doesn't seem to me to be that fluxist.  MD, are you onlist?  How do you situate your work vis-a-vis Fluxus, Maciunas, or even Warhol for that matter?  Not to mention the "democratization" that the intro essay says multiples give (sorry if that's not you Mandiberg who actually wrote it, no negativity either way)?

Don't say you won't comment just because of the show.

Say it ain't so,

Max Herman

++