Etaoin Shrdlu on Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:04:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re:<nettime> BUSH ANNOUNCES US DEPT. OF ART & TECHNOLOGY

Is this a hoax: www.usdept-arttech.net?
‘We are working across government to accelerate the growth of a seamless, interdisciplinary-minded society.

‘ We are encouraging cross-agency portals to serve specific artist groups and members of the avant-garde.

‘ We are transforming the way government at all levels delivers culture to you and the way you interact with our nation's artists. ’

The way government delivers culture to you? Cross-agency portals? A seamless, interdisciplinary-minded society? This is a frightening mix of expired dot.com and net.art jargon, served up on a platter of borg mentality and culture as commodity. Art as the government's medium.

A frightening joke, because it is almost believable.
-e.s.