josh zeidner on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:41:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Josephine Berry-Automatism/Autonomy/Virtual UnconsciousIII

> Antiorp has, since
> this time, posted to these lists extensively in a
> specially developed language
> termed 'Kroperom' or 'KROP3ROM|A9FF'. This language,
> in part, relies on a logic
> of substitution to reformulate the Roman alphabet's
> phonetic system by
> including all the 256 different characters
> comprising the American Standard
> Code for Information Interchange (ASCII), the lingua
> franca of computing.

  The medium is the mess.  BTW- we have been using
such languages for a long time now, IMHO. ;)  Integer
is not the originatorder.

> > the space of a word, but the unity of the phonetic
> system

  propoised( and illusional ) unity, not aktual
ouneity.  If only Webster could have found another
hobby...

> The act of reading becomes a pointedly
> self-reflexive and, in the terms of
> chaos theory, nonlinear experience with each word
> representing a junction of
> multiple systems.

 When was reading not self-reflexive?  The gutenburg
galaxy is looking in on us, not vice-versa.  For
instance Ludwig Wittgenstein told us how language
hypnotises, so learn to be a programmer.  Also Joyce
once wrote:

"Shem was a sham and a low sham and his lowness
creeped out first via foodstuffs. So low was he that
he preferred Gibsen's tea-time salmon tinned, as
inexpensive as pleasing, to the plumpest roeheavy lax
or the friskiest parr or smolt troutlet that ever was
gaffed between Leixlip and Island Bridge and many was
the time he repeated in his botulism that no
junglegrown pineapple ever smacked like the whoppers
you shook out of Ananias' cans, Findlater and
Gladstone's, Corner House, Englend. "

> This point about self-reflexivity
> can doubtless be made of
> all textual production and consumption to a greater
> or lesser extent, but it is
> important here to emphasis that through, for
> example, the substitution of
> letters for numerals,

  Oh I thought your saying was one-faced and Janus
laced.  Youve covered all points well, I was going to
say: "go to hell before I tell you there".

  Thanks,