anne-marie on Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:43:09 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Snow Blossom House critiqued

>3 -0400 (EDT)
>	[ConcentricHost SMTP Relay 1.14]
>Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:40:50 -0500
>To: thingist@bbs.thing.net
>From: Patrick Lichty <voyd@VOYD.COM>
>Subject: <thingist> Snow Blossom Houze
>Sender: owner-thingist@bbs.thing.net
>
>I've reviewed the notes recently posted, and I have a logorreal logjam for
>which I may not be able to relieve myself.
>
>First, I'd like to address the SBH site itself.  ALthough it was primarily
>compi8led to look at the KISS doll culture and its cultural matrix, I have
>misgivings about the references and selections included.  For example, the
>broader set of erotic art in electronic media as defined by this show has
>definite holes (ah! a pun) in it.  For example, no reference to historical
>entries, such as Leisure Suit Larry, Virtual Valerie (1 or 2!), or even the
>venerable Fifi's Whorehouse.

was aware of those(arent most people?) but wish to diverge from the
male herterosexist nature of this history and much of current
porno--same reason real doll was not included and also rejected more
than a couple pieces submitted by some known (male)net artists
because if i did not do so the show would easily have been taken over
by such (there are already more than a fair share of sexy girls made
by men in the show)

Snow Blossom House is not a historical overview of erotic games, it
is a constructed collection of interactive erotica, digital games and
art with an intentional "girlish" japanime flavor. some of the art
pieces also work against the objectifying visual (male heterosexist)
mechanical bias of western pornography, hence the sound piece by meta
and the abstracted love sculptures by entropy8zuper! and the
disjunctive narrative of doll yoko...(see .else portion of curatorial
note) Snow Blossom is what it is intentionally and happy to not be
what it is not.

-a-m