Nmherman on Thu, 17 May 2001 17:11:56 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> cyberfascism in Italy?

In a message dated 5/15/2001 4:23:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
lop1912@iperbole.bologna.it writes:

> The financial domination on  the italian media landscape for two decades
>  has created the conditions of a new form of power, deeply pervading the
>  Infosphere.
>  May we call it Cyberfascism?
>  bifo

I'd call it just plain fascism, if it's like the US.  There is a hidden and
disguised quality to this new fascism, but it's fascist nevertheless.  Call
it neofascism, modern fascism, or 21st century fascism but it's still just
fascism.

I apply the term to the USA because Chomsky influenced me by saying back in
the early eighties that the US was already a totalitarian state.
Corporations control the media and hence information, hence the consent of
the governed is merely manufactured.  In his documentary about the book,
Chomsky had some footage of the head politician of the Netherlands calling
the decisions made to influence public awareness--for example, the decision
not to report on the genocide in East Timor--by the unusual term "gronslag"
or ground-laying or something.

Fascism means not a certain fashion style, like swastikas and architecture by
Speer using spotlights pointing straight up.  It means the removal of rights
from regular people and allocation of all power, even over life and death but
certainly over free speech and economic activity, to the State.  The fascist
state is also heavily militarized, nationalistic, fueled by hate, fear and
conformity; race becomes a source of insecurity and violent obedience;
propaganda dominates the fascist society.

Fascism is already intact in the US and functioning fairly well.  Fascism
always has to conceal its gruesome and inhuman mechanism, so even the hidden
character of US fascism doesn't warrant a new name.  Back in the 30's and
40's it was called "the Big Lie" even by strategists like Hess.

Big corporations like Daimler-Benz, Krupp, and I.G. Farben (or Ford, General
Dynamics, and General Electric) always profit under fascism because they are
the seat of the state's material power.  They employ people, preventing
unrest, and supply armaments.  Now the large media corporations make huge
profits in the US (and overseas) even though their product is inferior; under
fascism they enjoy freedom from competition.

Physical savagery also makes fascism work.  Executions, incarcerations,
brutality by the police are all primarily indimidation tactics selected
precisely to feed the bloodlust of the loyal and terrify the weak.
Full-scale ethic genocide is not publicly condoned by the US government today
not because they don't practice it--they do--but because given the public
mind it would be contrary to state interest.  Hiding the human cost of
fascism is not a new element however.  The measures and techniques required
to hide it have merely mutated over the last fifty years.

The breakdown of the system of checks and balances in government has also
occurred in the US.  The judiciary is not alive and well.  Why would US
fascists make the blunder of disbanding the Supreme Court if it already
caters to their every desire?  It would be like the Nazis using
crucifixions--too evidently historical.  three strikes and you're out is
sufficient.  Fascism has always had to wear the mask of benevolence and
necessity.

I vote we just call it fascism, if the situation in Italy is comparable to
that in the US (Reagan) and the UK (Thatcher).  Certainly totalitarianism is
accurate to a very precise degree.  Or how about just plain war?

Best,

Max Herman
The Genius 2000 Network
http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000