Josephine Bosma on 9 Apr 2001 09:33:18 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: questions (fwd)

fyi: this is an example of an interview that is not ok, because it is
not finished. I asked Brad if we could do an interview, because the
nature of his work, his persistent presence in the networks and most of
all his endless attacks on any kind of art professional other then
artists somehow come together in a way that does not make much sense,
and I thought it might be good to see if there is actually more behind
it then meets the eye. In quite a tragic way Brad's premature publishing
of our correspondence (he obviously does not trust that I will publish
it or he thinks this way he has more control) now illustrates how one
can create one's own unwanted seperation and rejection. He treats me,
single mum and free lance writer without connection to any organisation
or even publisher, as an institution. I wish some artists would see how
even being a rebel needs some kind of idea and insight in how to go
about it. Brad, as opposed to someone like Heath Bunting for instance,
does not see that he actually creates the very barriers and obstructions
he says he fights against. He puts them in place instead of trying to
find a way to deal with the problems around them and the basis of them.
It is also my sincere wish that most artists will be wise enough not to
follow his pattern of thinking, simply because he is present in
mailinglists and feeds on basic instincts. For gods sake see how saying
someone is shutting you out and treating them like they are being bad to
you is making it impossible for yourself to be treated in a normal way.
It is like going up to a stranger and saying he is not acknowledging
your presence.

Next to the usual ribbons against html mails we might want to install a
ribbon against paranoia on the net. A sort of warning sign that not all
is what it seems to you on a bad day. "Give it a chance!"

best

*