t byfield on 4 Apr 2001 07:40:37 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> nettime-bold.

jesis@xs4all.nl (Wed 04/04/01 at 08:32 AM +0200):

> I think this is not enough, sorry. It is not 'occasionally' that
> messages don't reach bold (quite ridiculous to have to say this, bold
> was to be the raw nettime and now we have to complain to get more
> mail!), it is very often. After my last mail to Felix it changed
> slightly, which I am happy about, but still I have to look in the
> archive to see what is in nettime! I should not have to be the one to do
> this. It is a matter of correctness really. Sorry to say I think you
> guys are incredibly sloppy when it comes to this subject of dealing with
> the list in a correct way.

as felix noted, <nettime@bbs.thing.net> is the admin account or
is how it works, and there are good reasons for it: for example,
so that error messages--extremely repetitive, hundreds of lines
long, dozens per day--don't end up spewing back to a list where
they in turn would generate still more error messages, ad infin-
itum. there are other very practical reasons for distinguishing
between the two addresses.

we have explained the difference between the two addresses many
times to many people, but, ultimately, people are at liberty to
send mail wherever they want. if they send it to -l, it goes to
-bold; if they don't it doesn't. maybe they understand why they
are sending mail to one address, maybe they don't. it certainly
isn't appropriate for the moderators to enforce 'correct' under-
standings or actions.

> This mail from Felix contains quite a few mistakes btw, not a good thing
> to refer to. Like his claim that bolds archive works? It is easy to say
> bold does not work, but the reasons for that are quite clear: it has
> been set up after too much delay and it has never been working properly.
> Both can still be dealt with I think. So why not do that?

do i really need to point out that felix wrote that message ~6
months ago? since then, the -bold archives caused some serious
problems with the server, and as a result were shut down. they
will be restarted when circumstances permit.

in the meantime, as felix noted in a recent message to nettime,
if you're unhappy with the existing setup, you're free to make
and maintain your own 'correct' version of -l and -bold.

cheers,