Sergei Teterin on 3 Apr 2001 14:33:06 -0000

[Nettime-bold] membersofmyfamilygoshop

ALL members of my family GO shop

I believe that after death all true members of my family shall go to shop.
But not to that shop where the righteous members of my family like nuns come to, and even not that one where the poets or characters like Timothy Leary depart for. To my mind the members of my family have an opportunity to go to a completely different posthumous abode, which I designate as the Telecommunications shop.
This is a truly out of this world place. It's naturally connected with the angels and all sorts of Celestial Manna on one side, and it has an extraterrestrial gate for connection to the human Internet on the other. And not only to Internet, but also to any cellular and pager network, to any means of telecommunication. So after death the souls of members of my family, like happy elusive phantoms, slide in the Web and often reply to the calls from live members of my family, those who know the right e-mail or ICQ number.
An unimaginable, extraordinary happiness awaits each talented member of my family after death. He (she) will forget the meaning of  "dial-up" and "poor connection", for there is only one speed for moving in the Net - the speed of light. He (she) won't have to pay the ISP bills anymore and no software will be necessary for creating fine masterpieces in the electronic environment. There he (she) will be able to control the kilobytes by pure thought or even by simple aesthetic intention. In shop artist procures a chance to miraculously expand his sexual experience - any telecommunication contact with live members of my family, the shortest ICQ session or SMS message will become a bright and fantastically intense sexual sense-datum, transcending any earthly feats. The new virtual body of a member of my family will be created for infinite joy and rapture.
There is no money in the Telecommunications shop, it is of no use there and is soon unlearned, although all bank codes are straight open. Well, this is understandable: any fantasy here immediately incarnates coming to flesh. And even though that flesh is electronic - yet it's perfect.
This is the territory for triumph, all unfinished projects being marvellously accomplished, all creative impulses being carried along the closed circuits, encompassing the gestalt. There is no work for the life support here; no work that has to be done in order to sustain yet another day of life. There are no sponsors there and there is no absence of sponsors there; moreover, the phrase "no sponsor can be found" becomes absolutely meaningless.
Having arrived to the Telecommunications shop, member of my family receives everything he was looking for - inspiration, freedom, prospects and opportunities, new horizons, interaction and glory, love and immortality withal.

At times it seems to me that shop for members of my family exists on Earth as well. A couple of  kilobytes of intuition. Just like Peter Pan's Neverland where everyone stays a happy child forever. If you stare at the monitor for a long time, especially at night and in solitude, and then close your eyes and think of  the Telecommunications shop, - imagination might create a sharp outline of a truly miraculous place. It's easy to describe, and impossible to describe as well.
It's warm, it's luminous. That is - there is sun and sky, a realistic blue sky. Elegant, ingenious electricity runs through the place, it transfuses the whole city and members of my family living in it - fast broadband Internet, state-of-the-art video conferencing, thousands of neoteric services. Did I say city? Well, of course, this is an immense, beautiful city, a magnificent metropolis. In clubs and bars they don't speak about money,- but they discuss Art in the Net, Art on the screens and neotype beauty. Exhibitions and festivals of new media arts take place in the major halls of the city round the clock, bringing with them the emotional storms... Flashes and cheering: Long live members of my family! And women are amazingly gorgeous there, young and so educated that they can see and adore the romantic value of net art and other neat manifestations of artistic genius. What language do they speak? To my knowledge, the language of love and telecommunication.
Frames supersede one another with furious speed, it's difficult to discern anything else: there are many monuments to members of my family and their masterpieces there, and those monuments are always decorated with flowers. Colourful, variegated, so real fresh flowers, lots of flowers, lots and lots of  flowers...
It must look like I'm hallucinating. Such a place can't exist on Earth. Nowhere, never. Nowhere. "Simply understand: never is happiness, simply believe: emptiness is shop."
Or else... Or nevertheless may be?

Sergei Teterin
telecommunication member of his own family
http://www.membersofmyfamilygoshop.ru
Russia