ICG Email (by way of richard barbrook) on 5 Feb 2001 21:11:04 -0000

[Nettime-bold] C R I S I S W E B N E W S

C R I S I S W E B   N E W S
---------------------------
Friday, 2 February 2000

Indonesia
--------------
Indonesia: Impunity versus Accountability for Gross Human Rights
Violations

Following Soeharto's fall in 1998 and the violence accompanying East
Timor's vote for independence in 1999, the new democratic Indonesian
government promised to hold perpetrators of gross human rights
violations accountable. Indonesia's subsequent record, however, has been
unimpressive. ICG analyses the legal system and documents the obstacles
to accountability, including corrupt courts, political pressures, lack
of funds and the military's residual power. Of special international
concern, the record in dealing with human rights violations in East
Timor is particularly poor. The report argues that failure to hold
senior officers to account is not helpful for the nation's stability,
because of the message it sends to regions where separatist movements
are active (Aceh, Irian Jaya) or tensions are particularly high
(Maluku).

--> Please see www.crisisweb.org for the full report