Jeffrey Fisher on 9 Nov 2000 23:40:16 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Energy, Elections, and the Internet

yes, gore lost votes to nader. no question. i've argued about this so much that i can't
recall now whether or not i've quoted the exit polls that suggest nader votes would have
gone (nationally) 40% to gore, 40% to no one, and about 20% to bush. that's what i was
seeing tuesday night. that doesn't speak to the results in specific states.

but that's not my argument. sure if you just wipe nader out and tally the votes, that puts
more votes in gore's column.

my argument is that bush cut into gore's support as much as or more than nader. exit polls
show that bush disrupted the clinton coalition rather the same way that clinton brought
back the reagan democrats to beat bush. i'm suggesting that perhaps gore made some
strategic errors, but those are all getting lost in the cries of nader nader nader.

what i really object to is foisting moral (or strategic) responsibility for a bush victory
onto nader and his supporters when the evidence makes it quite plain that there were other
factors that were at least as important. the truth is that gore didn't lose just the 2
million votes that went to nader: he also lost every one of the 48million that went to
bush. nader votes account for something like 4% of the votes gore didn't get nationally.
are you telling me none of those other 48million were potential gore voters? that is
patently false -- if someone voted for clinton twice, she is certainly a target for a gore
vote, but he lost millions of those votes.

jeff

--
jeff fisher
dilettant