scotartt on 23 Oct 2000 04:59:31 -0000

[Nettime-bold] censorship by Roma Commune

I wish to state a complaint about the Roma commune.

I am the admin of the machine, autonomous.org, which also hosts web
material by Francesa Da Rimini, through its sub site, sysx.org. But is she
alone in her "obscene" expression and why does the Commune of Roma support
other outlets of obscene expression while supressing only a selected few?

Recently, in fact during this very period when the censorship was taking
place, I was on holiday in Roma and I was shocked to find, in the
Barbarini Museo, paintings of a horrible nature that are on plain display
to anyone who pays the admission fee. This includes children -- and even
worse, as if they are EU citizens persons under 18 are entitled to free
admission.

Whilst in this museum I was absolutely disgusted to be confronted by two
obscene paintings from some unknown Frenchman called Poussin, obviously a
pedophile who should be prosecuted without delay. These two paintings
depict a "Child's Bacchanalia", including fornicating children. They are
probably famous among deviants and sickos the world over, even though no
decent art critic ever heard of this obvious non-entity Poussin. He
painted not just children but infants engaging in druken orgies. Why is
the Commune of Roma supporting such illicit foul "art" when it is plainly
obvious to everyone that children are dear, sweet innocent creatures which
do not engage in any such behaviour? Why does the commune of Roma only
censor the internet whilst its very own museums are monuments to a
monstrous depravity the world has never seen the like of before?

I will point out that not only this not the only example of obscene art in
public spaces or museums in Roma, only the worst instance that I was
subjected to. There are numerous examples including in the same museum, in
the next room, an overly realistic depiction of the Old Testament story of
Judith. The naturalistic images of the face of Judith and Holofernes and
Judith's servant could only have been painted from real-life. Not only
that but I found out the painter was also a murderer! HE also paints naked
young children and them tries to pass them off as "saints". It's UNHEARD
of. How DARE the roma commune display these paintings in its museums.
There are numerous other examples of naken men and women cavorting all
over the place in plain view in Roma. And the CHURCHES, God forgive them
they are full of the most morbid imagery every known to mankind, some by
this same murderer-artist I mentioned before. I even went to one place
made completely out of dead people's BONES!

It is an outrage the Commune of Roma only censors the Internet when
obviously it spends thousands of Lira every year displaying the most
depraved artwork in full public view (free to children!).

I demand the commune take further action on this matter and hold a public
disposal of these obscene artworks or I for one will never be returning to
Italy ever again, and will be urging the boycott of it by every civilised
human. Barbarians.

signed,

concerned sysadmin
Autonomous Organisation