molly hankwitz on 23 Oct 2000 03:51:06 -0000

[Nettime-bold] posting, Isreal-Palestine, net.time

Regarding this matter of media-oriented postings, the Israeli- Palestine
conflicts discussion and
efforts to bring information to net.time from the Palestine resistance or
an Israeli peace movement (?) Some information from Israeli leftist
movements would be  informative and would contribute to a more holistic
knowledge of what is happening, perhaps, especially if there is any
communication between  a leftist pacifist group in Israel and the
Palestinian people themselves, for example. There must be efforts
to quell aggression on both sides.

I have been, for a week, trying to connect with Palestinian activists about
what they might be doing on the Net, trying to get some accounts and so
forth--hopefully to post on net.time. I'm not getting any response however.
Given the brutality described by Salloum who is very knowledgeable, it may
be a kind of luxury for Palestinian artists to describe their net activity
while the conflict is so painful and harsh. I could not say. Civilians and
journalists and activists there may be going crazy from the attacks and the
fear!  We can certainly not underestimate the climate of communication or
lack thereof in that part of the world right now. I'll keep trying...hope
others will as well. Our connections to artists and activists there is
support!

In the meantime, if anyone is responding to the call for SOLIDARITY with
the Palestinian artists and
doing any events, making any phone calls or writing any letters, emails to
biased media, working on
any vigils, protests in their own countries or other kinds of actions, I
would hope that net.time would
see announcements and reports of these activities as worthy to be on the
list and I hope that net.timers
post what they are doing, seeing, reading.

I hope that the space of net.time can handle potential disagreements
regarding the Middle East long
enough to support (in the future) free exchange of information about it. It
may take some time.