scotartt on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:25:51 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> A16 digest

craig,

yes. wall st goes down, so does the us dollar, the aussie dollar goes up.
wall street recovers, the aussie goes down, which is what the quote says.
[although bear in mind the SMH is not always that economically literate]
and its true, if it can't go up it will go down. expect the currency to be
weak in the short term. but if there's a long term weakness in the us
market, the aussie dollar will benefit. (should be 'benefit' i guess as I
said, a rise in value is bad for some [exporters, short sellers], good for
others [importers, long buyers, those with large debt in US $]).

there are other factors in the relationship, e.g. interest rate
differentials. also, world economy outlook. the weakness in the currency is
uncharacteristic, but a reflection of the changes being wrought by the 'new
economy' and australia's perception by the market of being 'old economy'
[resources, industrials, etc]. although i think this is more an indication
of how little connection with actual economic realities that 'market
perception' usually has. nonetheless, it makes imported cars and foreign
debt more expensive all the same.

scot.