Katerina Gkoutziouli on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 19:46:09 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> ADAF 2015 | Call for artists | Deadline extended to 18 March

.
Athens Digital Arts FestivalÂ
â2015â

âAthens Digital Arts Festival
Âinvites you to submitÂ
âyour â
proposals for its next edition taking place inÂ
âlate May
Âin Athens
â, Greece.â

Extended deadline for submissions: 18 March 2015.

submission info:Âhttp://www.adaf.gr/2015-edition/Ââ
festival website:Âwww.adaf.grâ

âPublic Space_sâ

In our times, the notion of public space appears to be one of the most contradictory concepts. With the rise of network and communication technologies, our experience of public space has changed. Public space is not only characterised by physical space and architecture but also by networks and knowledge distribution.

While public space is mainly being interpreted through urban planning, digital public space is organised through IP locations, URLs and protocols. Their cartographies, as distinct as they may seem, are both informed by network dynamics that add new layers of interpretation. Squares, parks, streets and the Internet are all potential public spaces that are activated through participation and engagement in order to acquire meaning.

The multiple interconnected spaces within which we act have redefined and affected our perception of everyday life as well as our social and cultural imaginaries. On the other hand, real-time data circulation and information exchange have created new patterns of communication allowing communities to surpass their localities and explore new modes of engagement and collaboration.

However, inhabiting at the same time a plethora of spaces that are potentially public the question that arises is: how open and free are these spaces?Â
âandÂ
Have the visions regarding open access to public space and eventually public data been fulfilled?

Through this call,Â
âAthens Digital Arts Festivalâ
Âinvites proposals to explore the notion of âpublicâ both in the digital and physical space.