Gabriel, Roswitha on Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:53:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> John Downing bei Civilmedia (Salzburg) am Programmbereich Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production (14.4.-16.4., Salzburg)

.

John Downing bei Civilmedia (Salzburg) am Programmbereich Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production (14.4.-16.4., Salzburg)

Der Programmbereich Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production freut sich den renommierten Medien-Forscher John Downing, derzeit Visiting Fulbright Scholar an der Universität Tampere, Finnland, bei der UnConference Civilmedia 11 Community Media for Social Change – Low Threshold - High Impact“ (www.civilmedia.eu) begrüßen zu dürfen: Am Donnerstag, 14.4. wird John Downing zu aktuellen Entwicklungen im Bereich„Nanomedia: ‘community’ media vs. ‘social movement’ media?“sprechen.

Die Civilmedia 11 findet von 14.4. – 16.4. in der Bergstraße 12, 5020 Salzburg in Kooperation zwischen der Radiofabrik Salzburg und dem Programmbereich Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production statt. Die Inhalte der Civilmedia 11 am Donnerstag, 14.4. werden in Zusammenarbeit mit dem FWF-Projekt „Feminist Media Production in Europe“ (Rosa Reitsamer und Elke Zobl) und vom Masterlehrgang MA in Cultural Production (
www.w-k.sbg.ac.at/ma-cp) gestaltet, der die kritische Auseinandersetzung mit zeitgenössischer Kunst- und Kulturproduktion sowie die Erforschung ihrer Kontextfaktoren und Zusammenhänge zum Lehr- und Forschungsschwerpunkt hat.

>>Conference „Civilmedia 11: Community Media for Social Change – Low Threshold - High Impact“: www.civilmedia.eu
>> Vortrag John Downing in Englisch, 14.4. um 16:30 Uhr

Abstract: Nanomedia: ‘community’ media vs. ‘social movement’ media?

The politics of ongoing everyday life, and the politics of the dramatic upsurge (Egypt, Iran, Greece), sometimes polarize debate about civil society media. The two terms ‘community’ media and ‘social movement’ media may even symbolize this rift. My argument is that we need to integrate awareness of time-scale and spatial scale dimensions into our thinking about our civil society media practices, and to understand how relying on unexamined assumptions about these dimensions leads often to energy-wasting disputes and burnout among activists. The opportunities provided by Internet use, networking media use and smart phone use are encouraging, but these technologies do not think for us. They often latch on to our existing practices and rationales. I will seek to illustrate my argument from experiences of anti-racist and feminist media projects.

John Downing is most recently editor of the Encyclopedia of Social Movement Media (Sage Publications, London & Los Angeles, 2011). He is author of other books, chapters and articles on these issues, especially Radical Media (1st ed. 1984, 2nd ed. 2001). He also writes on racism and media, global media, and political cinemas of the global South. He was founding director of Southern Illinois University’s Global Media Research Center, and retired from there as emeritus professor in May 2010. After teaching at Århus University for autumn 2010, and Helsinki and Tampere Universities for spring 2011, he is returning to live in Brooklyn, NY, where he lived throughout the 1980s.

John Downing at Civilmedia at Program Area Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production (14th-16th of April, Salzburg)

The Program Area Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production is pleased to welcome John Downing, Visiting Fulbright Scholar, University of Tampere, Finland. He will take part in the UnConference „Civilmedia 11: Community Media for Social Change – Low Threshold - High Impact“ (www.civilmedia.eu) and will give a talk on Thursday, 14th, 4:30 entitled with „Nanomedia: ‘community’ media vs. ‘social movement’ media?“ (see below).

Civilmedia 11 takes place from 14th-16th April 2011 in cooperation between Radiofabrik Salzburg and the Program Area Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production, Focus Area 'Wissenschaft und Kunst' (University of Salzburg in Cooperation with the University Mozarteum Salzburg) at Bergstraße 12, 5020 Salzburg.

The program on Thursday is organized in cooperation with the FWF-Projekt „Feminist Media Production in Europe“ (Rosa Reitsamer und Elke Zobl) and the MA in Cultural Production (www.w-k.sbg.ac.at/ma-cp), which is focussing on the interconnections between contemporary art and culture and political, media, economic and social processes.

>>Conference „Civilmedia 11: Community Media for Social Change – Low Threshold - High Impact“: www.civilmedia.eu
>> Vortrag John Downing in Englisch, 14.4. um 16:30 Uhr

Abstract: Nanomedia: ‘community’ media vs. ‘social movement’ media?

The politics of ongoing everyday life, and the politics of the dramatic upsurge (Egypt, Iran, Greece), sometimes polarize debate about civil society media. The two terms ‘community’ media and ‘social movement’ media may even symbolize this rift. My argument is that we need to integrate awareness of time-scale and spatial scale dimensions into our thinking about our civil society media practices, and to understand how relying on unexamined assumptions about these dimensions leads often to energy-wasting disputes and burnout among activists. The opportunities provided by Internet use, networking media use and smart phone use are encouraging, but these technologies do not think for us. They often latch on to our existing practices and rationales. I will seek to illustrate my argument from experiences of anti-racist and feminist media projects.

John Downing is most recently editor of the Encyclopedia of Social Movement Media (Sage Publications, London & Los Angeles, 2011). He is author of other books, chapters and articles on these issues, especially Radical Media (1st ed. 1984, 2nd ed. 2001). He also writes on racism and media, global media, and political cinemas of the global South. He was founding director of Southern Illinois University’s Global Media Research Center, and retired from there as emeritus professor in May 2010. After teaching at Århus University for autumn 2010, and Helsinki and Tampere Universities for spring 2011, he is returning to live in Brooklyn, NY, where he lived throughout the 1980s.

Wissenschaft und Kunst

Programmbereich Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production

Bergstraße 12, 5020 Salzburg

0043 662 8044 2383

roswitha.gabriel@sbg.ac.at

www.w-k.sbg.ac.at